Should I upgrade from a 300D to 350D?

iandangerfield

Mark is dead on here:

<p>1. What do you need your camera to do?

<p>2. What does your current camera lack from that list?

<p>3. What from this new list will the new camera <i><b>not</i></b> do? (This is very

important!)

<p>If the answer to the last question is "nothing," then decide if these features are worth

the money to you. If the answer to the last question is a is a list anywhere near the length

of the answer to the second question, consider upgrading to something else.

<p>If you have trouble answering any of the above questions, take more pictures until

you can.

Whether or not you should is highly dependent on your reasons for wanting to upgrade and your personal financial situation.

I upgraded from the 10D to the 20D about a year ago, and it's a fairly analogous move.

My reasons were primarily for speed: faster start-up/wake-up and image review. The 10D was just felt laboriously slow on image review, and I missed more than a few shots waiting for the body to wake-up, unless I left it "always on," a battery drainer.

The other improvements (more MP, slightly smaller & lighter, better noise performance, EF-S compatibility, etc.) were alternately of little value or no consequence to me. The upgrade cost me about $650, but it was worth it *to me."

The 20D is a body I can live with, without want, until the sub $2K FF dSLR (5D descendant).

Ian, I bought my 300D approximately 18 months ago. I have taken 3,000 pictures since then. I have been and still am delighted with the camera. I probably have printed 100 pictures during that time frame and only 15-20 were 8 x10, The megapixels are not a problem to me. I might upgrade in a couple of years if something exciting comes along and it is in my price range. i.e. $1,000-$1,500. Mark's comments are worthwhile. Stay with your 300D unless you are really unhappy with the camera. I have three lenses with it plus the kit lens which I use very seldom. My favorite is the Canon 28-135mm USM IS lens. I am also very happy with a Sigma 10-20mm WA lens. Let us know if you upgrade. Roger

The 350D has some nice features that the 300 does not. But I am waiting the the next 20d. If I had to buy right now I would look at the 20d instead. If you look around the net you can find one for just a little more money. If you are really wanting something a little smaller I would recommend the 350d, if you like the feel of your 300 I would look at the 20d. You would be better off to wait a few more months to see what the next gen 20d will be.

Not worth it. I would never get a 350D. The 300D uses the same BP-511's used in the 20D/10D/G6 etc and you can share batteries and CF if you upgrade later on. Picture quality wise, the 300D and 350D are about the same, except for the additional 2+ megapixels which IMHO are not important unless you're making huge prints. The worst part is the size. The 350D feels puny and insubstantial, It keeps slipping out of my hands and my fingers get cramps if I hold it for over 15-20 mins.

I have, one year ago. Today, I might get the 20D instead.

However, if:

- instant start-up/wake-up from stand-by so as not to miss the shot

- selectable AF and metering modes

are important for you, then you should. These are making a difference for me, but again, you get them with the 20D plus more (I would like a bigger brighter VF). Waiting for the 20D replacement is a good idea if you are prepared to spend around $500 more. That's where it'll probably be positioned.

Ian, I had the same question several months ago. Instead, I bought the 20D and love it very much. If you need a better camera for whatever your needs are, a 20D upgrade is worth more than jumping from a 300D to a 350D. If not, wait for the next generation 20D to be released next year. I was going to sell the 300D on ebay but I started using it for work and hmmmm, tax time is coming up so a deduction is around the corner. Good luck and patience!