jsc1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Josiah -

I've been enjoying all your work w/ Acros, but think my taste always comes back to Tri-X. Looks good in the D76. Alas I don't develop my own and my local lab uses Xtol, which I think is a little too smooth for my taste.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

-Mark

I like to use B/W whenever needed.

When it's needed by me:

Indoors, where the color balance of indoor lighting is so strange. Or so dim, that I need to push 400 speed way up....

Winter around here, when everything is black and white and grey outside anyway, and color film would add nothing.

In General - because I can soup B/W myself, but haven't learned color yet.

But it's funny - when I do shoot color, I sure enjoy getting the photos back and having all that multi-colored flavor in there.

Doug Grosjean

At least 40 years ago "B&W vs. Color" had been "fought..." without resolution.

I am not a PJ...

I work to take "timeless" photos. Please. A favor.

If you don't like my photos then don't comment.

I am this || close to "good-bye."

Sorry, Josiah. I didn't mean to come across so cryptic. I was just afraid that we were heading down the path to B&W versus color. I prefer shooting in B&W myself, but use color for pictures when my kids visit or I'm out fishing with friends. Also when somebody is paying me to take color photos. I conceptualize in B&W when I'm out shooting. When I'm shooting color I need to consider how the various color elements fit into the composition. With B&W I'm dealing with tonal seperation. In my mind "color photography" and "B&W photography" are two completely different mediums.

Way back years before anyone even imagined digital this was a commonly discussed theme in the photo magazines. Color photography was relatively new and certainly a lot more expensive than B&W. Now B&W is no longer cheap and we all know that most color images have faded. I read that Kodak no longer supplies die transfer materials and Cibachrome is also a thing of the past. They were the two relatively archival color processes. Only time will prove what digital printing method will hold up best long term.