Help me find a small auto-flash....

joshroot

I'm looking for a small auto-flash with bounce, and preferably tilt as

well. Given my choice, I'd like it if I could adjust manual power. NOT

looking for any TTL compatibility. I don't have a TTL RF to use it on.

Currently I am using a Sunpak 144d. Which works, but since it was

supposed to "synch" with various camera system's flash technology, it

isn't exactly what I want.

And of course, I'm looking for soemthing that isn't huge. In truth, I

want a smaller version of my SB-26. That flash does everything I could

want.

I'm sure that some people are against using a flash for their RF

photography. But I really enjoy the look of photos with well done

bounce flash.<div>00En8n-27409784.jpg.395007f5eaed98ecb885fe8e4d88f6e6.jpg</div>

Not a very well known brand, but Unomat is the one that has what you need. GN 24, bounce tilt and swivel, uses only 2AA, 2 auto ranges, 0.5-8 second recycle, 200-2000 flashes per set of batteries, flash sync cord, etc.-- what more could you want?

See http://www.unomat.de/index.php?id=45

If you read German, the description is:

Wie B 24 auto, jedoch mit Thyristorschaltung. Blitzfolgezeit 0,5-8 Sek. Blitzzahl bei Computerbetrieb ca 200-2000 Blitze pro Battariesatz.

I use an older Metz BCT 30 4 flash which I like to use with just about any camera I have. Concept, user interface and size are small and used these flashes run about 20 USD. Metz also has a new smaller series out which offer nice features in a small package, but since newer they also cost quite a bit.

I've got 2 sb30's that I use with my hexars. Between the manual settings, the exposure compensation slider and the wide angle adapter, you have a lot of control over how much light you are dumping out. The auto settings work too. No bounce unless you put it on cord.

I have the little Nikon SB-15. Runs on 4 AA's (vs. the SB 30 - CR123). The head on the SB-15 rotates 180 and tilts 90 degrees.

But it's older and heavier than the featherweight SB-30 and needs an adapter to cover 28mm, which I don't believe is the case with the SB-30.

I didn't get it for rf, but for the FM2, a camera that doesn't have ttl flash.

I hade seen the SB-30 before, but what the heck is wrong with the Nikon design crew? They built the flash to tilt FORWARD? I guess they think people are more interested in macro than bounce photography.

Andy, TTL flashes from one company usually will not work with camera bodies from another company.

Foo.

That SB30 would be a great flash (in terms of features) if it just had tilt/bounce.

I wonder if I could modify the foot somehow? Or built a little tilt/bounce foot adapter? Probably too much work.

I'll probably just pick up the regular Sunpak 144 (not the weird "D" dedicated version I have now). A couple of the other flashed mentioned either don't offer the bounce I'm looking for, or are as big as my SB26. I suppose I could try and pick up the "non-digital" version of the SB-28. I'm guessing those might be slightly cheaper these days.

Josh, The SB-30 tilts forward because it was made for the Coolpixes. No need to contemplate altering it. All Plastic. It is a very versatile flash (for the size) but with limited application.

If you want a cheaper and the most powerful of the SB- flashes (barring the hammerheads), go for the SB-24. This has more juice than any other (25, 26, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know a lot about flash photography. If I use the Sunpak144 or the Nikon sb30 on the

Leica M7 or M6

TTL, do I set lens at either of the 2 or 4 (Nikon) auto flash f stops and the camera on the

synch speed? I do understand I may need to adjust the flash for certain instances like fill

flash or more natural looking photos. Is the way to do this by adjusting the ISO for a higher

number so as to lower the output?

thanks in advance!

Brian