Found Photos

EricM

Excellent but at times sad. All those lives and memories captured 'forever' and now just reeling past in an endless slideshow with no context or meaning. Like all those boxes of old family photos in junk shops that were taken of someone's loved ones once. Taken to cherish and remember and now bought by the box load for interior designers to place in frames/albums to give clients an appearance of 'history' where there is none. The unidentified diaspora of the image revolution.

Little section out of the novel "Up in Smoke", written by someone close, which is available

at Barnes & Noble's web site. He told me he desperately needs more royalties so he can

buy a new Leica. The story is written by an intelligent but uneducated boy.

"And in our house there wasn't a drawer where you couldn't find a couple of rolls of 35

millimeter negatives stuck away in a dusty corner someplace in one of those tin-plated

cans that they used to sell to keep the light off of the film. On gray November days when it

was cloudy or raining and the house was chilly and dark with only wood creaking

somewhere, I used to dig through the drawers of the old Mission desk under the stair to

find the films, and then zip a roll out on my thumb and hold it up to the lamp to study the

shadowy images. Maybe of Gen and Mary, two little girls standing on the running board of

our old '32 Studebaker in their Easter dresses that my mother sewed, or us five brothers

all lined up by age in front of the house, wearing shirts and ties and Sunday knickers and

shined up shoes?or tiny, faraway sailboats on the Delaware, or even Richard himself, real

close, staring into the camera in that startled wide eyed way that made you know he took

the picture himself, holding the camera out.

Those strips of negatives were like a separate little world, with all the light things

dark and all the dark things light that let you see into a time before you were born. And

the people in them, your own family, not knowing then that you were coming to be with

them, and then seeing the later ones with me in them after I did come. Looking at them

would always give me a queer lonesome feeling, and make me think about what a lucky

chance it was that I got born at all, being the last of seven kids like I am, and that if it

wasn't for the thinnest little string of jism and a lot of luck, I might still be floating around

out there in the universe someplace, and never would of been born at all.

Yet what was on those films was actually a real place and a real time?still moments

sliced out of time and out of lives that used to be, captured forever on those strips of

celluloid and buried away in the back of a desk drawer."

(some formatting lost in uploading)