Why Canon 85mm f/1.8 more popular than 100mm f2.0?

anesh

Apart from the slightly wider apperture and small difference in

price why is the 85mm f/1.8 more popular than 100mm f/2.0? To me

logic suggests that the 100mm would be better value. I have the

50mm f1.8 and just ordered a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and am yearning for

a little reach.. at speed.

with film, i would think that 85mm means you'll be the perfect distance away from someone to take a head/ shoulder or half length shot. close enough to talk to someone, far enough away to give em some space. how a digital user w/ 1.6 crop factor feel about it, i don't know.

I think the 85 is more popular because it's cheaper. Optically, the 100 is marginally the better lens - in particular its better CA performance. I don't think the difference between f/2 and f/1.8 is very significant - 1/3rd stop, or maybe 1/2 stop if you look at it from the point of view of hand holdable shutter speed. In terms of DoF, if you shoot the 100 at f/2 from 1.7m you get 25.6mm on a field of view of 38x58cm using a 25 micron CoC, whereas with the 85 at f/1.8 from 1.5m you get 24.9mm on a 40x60cm FoV - an insignificant difference. Of course, if you own a 100mm macro it seems odd to duplicate the focal length - but then again you could choose the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 or Sigma 150mm f/2.8 as your macro lens instead. Of course, if you use a 1.6 crop camera then 85mm is more useable than 100mm - giving 136mm equivalent FoV (a classic portrait choice) compared with 160mm which can seem a little long. The minute difference in focus speed is really only of any potential importance to a sports photographer rather than a wedding photographer.

I have both but reach for the 85 much more often- but I can't really say why?? So I'm no help :)

Once we left the 100 mm sitting outside on the church steps- a church that was about a 3 hour drive away- and the church people found it and mailed it to us- so for that reason alone I should use it more- it's lucky :)

I used to have 100/2 and liked it very much. But that was a while ago. To me (and I believe, also to some people), 100/2 was a compromise between 85/1/8 and 135/2. Now that I can afford both 85/1.8 and 135/2, I sold my 100/2. Nothing wrong with this lens, it's just a matter of focal length preference. Based on experience, I disagree when someone said that 100/2 is slower in focusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Anesh,

I think the proper logic would really depend on which body your using. For the 1DMII, this lens would become 130/2. 5D - 100/2, 20D - 160/2.

I came upon this lens by chance about 2 years ago when i evenly traded the 28-135 i had. Best trade i ever made i can can say that the 100 is just slightly larger than the 50, but not much at all. The autofocus speed of the 100 absolutly smokes that of the 50. Another fact - this lens (if you have a good copy) is extremly sharp wide open. It's sharper at 2.0 than my Tamron 28-38 @ 2.8 and by FAR better than the 50 @ 1.4.

After using this lens, i've never once had a desire to even consider the 85 1.8.