Looking for a flash from my xpan

db1

David, I use the XPan II and 45mm and 90mm lenses.

What do you mean by smallest - size, output or price?

The suggested more current Metz are nice and compact and have good power, but smallest will be distated by the wide coverage requirement. I would suggest you don't limit your flash choice to 135 format mode shooting as you may end up regretting it when you wish to shoot flash in pan mode. I already had my Metz unit so was lucky since I find that 99% of my XPan use is in pan mode - yes even for envoro portraits!

I think a very good flash choice is the Metz 45 (CT or CL versions) with the greater number of auto f stops available (I use a 45 CL-4). But they are not small (although very afordable on the used market).

2 things to consider are 1. in pan mode you will need wide coverage to help ensure good illumination - the Metz units offer the wide angle diffuser. 2. The XPan has no fancy stuff like TTL flash - all you need is a unit enabling manual and f stop auto capability.

For portraits you will benefit from a full manual capability to adjust flash balancing and have full control. For simpler flash shooting the auto f stop mode is good too and you can use the flash head ISO adjustment for exposure compensation.

One nice featute of the Metz hammerhead designs is the very long camera bracket - just a perfect length for the expan body (I hate using mine on a 6x6 body due to the long narrow bracket).

Thanks everyone for responding.

I am looking to do some night time work where I just have to light up the center of the

image. I am not interested in having to light up the outside.

I am looking for a small flash, as in physical size. And if I could shoot at f8 at 125, that

would be great.