Going to a horse race

lukas_jenkins

I am going to a horse race tomorrow at Dover Downs in Delaware. I am curious if I would be able to bring

in my camera and be able to get some good shots (meaning get close enough to the action to get good

shots)? I would bring/shoot with a D200 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR.

Thanks,

Lukas

Get down along the rail at the end of the Paddock, You should gets some good shots of the end of the race. I would also go down to where the jockeys walk the horses before going on the track, nice shots there as well. For one of the races try a panning shot. Use the lowest ASA and stop the camera down to you get a exposure of around a 1/60 or 1/30 of a second. This might be around f-22, then follow the action as the horses pass by you, keeping the lens moving with the horses. shoot lots of photos , keeping the jockeys the main subject in the photo. You should get some interesting shots. Post them here when you are done, and let us see what you get.

I uploaded 4 shots to my website from the race.

<br>

<br>

<a href="http://web.mac.com/dclj12/iWeb/Lukas%20Jenkins%20Photography/Delaware%

20Park.html">Delaware Park Horse Races</a>

<br>

<br>

I was very happy with my panning results! I shot handheld so not to bad... If I brought a

monopod I would have tried 1/30s (the two panning shots were shot at 1/60 at ISO 100). I

could have used a longer lens for the turf races. I think a faster camera (D2Hs or D2X)

would have resulted in better finish line sequences. Feedback and future advice is

welcome.

<br><br>

Lukas