everyone's advice, plan to start slow and build a lens collection as

I get a better understanding of the type of photography I want to

focus on (pun intended).

However, if I pick up a lens or two, and then a year or two from now

I decide I'm not using it enough to have the money tied up in it

collecting dust - what kind of resale value am I looking at? I'm not

expecting to break even or anything, but if used lenses go for 50%

(or less) of new price, then I'm less likely to risk spending cash

now than if they sell for closer-to-new values.

What have people's experiences been with buying/selling used lenses

and the percentage of new value they go for?

Thanks for all the help and great advice I've read so far!

Steve

Steve, lens resale value for Canon lenses remains quite high. Value of course depends on the lens being sold and its condition, but many "L" lenses go for 80-90% of their original sale price if resold within a year or two. Non "L"s may bring something less,but I once sold a 28-135 for a little more than what I paid for it to someone in Canada ( I'm in the States ) apparently because the differance between his winning e-bay bid and the price of a new one locally was great enough to make his bid worth the money. Go figure. Good luck.

I second the previous comment. If the lens is only a year or two old and in top notch condition (and you have all the original packaging and receipt) you can get a nice price for them.

I sold a non-L zoom a few months ago for 75% of original purchase price in 4 hours on ebay.

I always buy my lenses with resale value in mind, because no matter how long I think I will keep the lens, there may eventually come a time when I will want or need to sell it. As such, I always prefer to buy them used if A. they are in good shape and B. if they are cheap enough.

Resale value is also the reason I always buy the name brand lens, i.e. Canon over Sigma, Tamron or Tokina. You can always sell a Canon lens faster and for more money.

You must also weigh the used price against the value of a Canon warrantee. Some of the lenses, especially the IS ones with more moving parts, are more likely to be damaged by accident or just wear and tear, and if they need to be fixed will be expensive without a warrantee, though if you buy L quality hopefully this will not be as much of a problem. Consequently, my general rule of thumb is that if the used price is within 10-15% of the retail price, I will pay the extra for the warrantee.

Resale value is dependent, not on just what condition the lenses is is or it's demand, but on how in a hurry you are for the money. If you have plenty of time, you can put it on Ebay or on Craigslist, but if you want money now and have to sell it wholesale, you will be lucky to get 30-35% of the retail value for it, either from a local camera store or Keh online, as they want to be able to at least double the price that they paid for it.

Hope this helps. Mike

If you're new to photography, and concerned about cost, you might consider just using an inexpensive but good lens such as the 50mm f1.8, which doesn't represent much of an investment (about $70) of the kit lens that came with your camera if you got one. There's a lot you can do and learn without a big stable of lenses. As is often said here, the photographer makes the image, not the equipment. Welcome and good luck!

Canon Lenses are extremely price stable. Unless they're new and Canon lowers the price, or they fall out of favor (ie EF-S lenses once full frame digital becomes cheaper) you're not likely to lose much money on them. I'd recommend buying used, since the initial price hit really only happens when you buy a new lens.

The percentage of new price depends on how popular a lens is, but in general ~85% of B&H Photos prices is about right. I bought my 17-40mm f/4 L new because I couldn't see buying a used lens just to save $50 (the price difference at the time). Even now I've probably only lost $100 having used the lens for a year.

For an example on buying used, I bought a 70-200mm f/4 L for $500 a year and a half ago, used it (but kept it in good condition) and sold it for $500 a month ago.

Now that's an inexpensive rental!

Ebay is only a good place to buy used lenses if you are very careful about assessing risk (and are still willing to accept some), if you know your market and your target purchase very well, if you have a clear maximum price set in your mind (based on research into completed auctions), and if you are very patient.

Ebay is a much better seller's market.

buy used at KEH and sell used at Ebay....you could end up making money.

Ebay sucks to buy from. I spent 4 months looking and bidding on a Konica Hexar AF. Never, not once did one sell at Ebay for the price I finally got mine for at KEH...not to mention the one from KEH was rated "E" and looked like it just came out of the box. Heck, it still had the plastic protective sheet on the bottom.