Mamiya 6

steven_finlay1

I have recently come across a new Mamiya 6 with a 75mm lens in a shop

near where I live and work (Saudi Arabia). The owner wants roughly

1000 UKP. Is this a reasonable price? I have done a little research

on Photo.net archives and it seems to be a very good camera although

a bit lacking in the lens department. (number of not quality) Would

an M7 be a better buy?

The price sounds high, but I don't know what is typical of used prices in Saudi. In Tokyo, I bought the same M6/75 for about US$700 in class-A condition. The lens selection for the M6 is 50,75,150, whereas the M7 has 43,50,80,150. All M6 cameras and lenses are no longer in production. The 50 for the M6 is sometimes hard to find. The bigger film and 43mm lens option are the chief benefits of the M7, but the M6 lens mount collapses for superior portability. Otherwise they are close to identical cameras, and just fantastic within their design limits.

Steven, check out the Web Site for Robert White Cameras in Dorset. They are currently offering the last of the first version of Mamiya 7 cameras for only # 506 plus VAT. You can buy a new body with say the 80 mm lense for only # 932 plus VAT. Their site can be found at http://www.robertwhite.co.uk

You should also remember that the Mamiya 6 is no longer in production and that the camera that you have seen, whilst it may be in as new condition, could be several years old. I don't think that it is worth anything like # 1000, when you can buy into the Mamiya 7 for similar money and get the benefits of the 6 x 7 cm format.