Summicron 75mm or 90mm: reasons to choose either one...

if you have a 50 it's daft to get a 75. in the context of typical RF photography, they are pretty much the same.

the raison d'etre of the 75 is to allow a two lens set-up comprising the 35 (or, better, the 28) and 75.

the alternative is 21/24/28 -- 50 -- 90 (if you want a 135 get an slr).

so what you got now??

I do not own nor have I had the opportunity to use the 75 Summicron, although the 75 Summilux is a favorite lens. I love its rendition and have never considered this lens to be unwieldy. I also use an Apo-Summicron M 90 ASPH lens, in addition to other Leica 90 lenses.

Every comment that I have heard or read about the 75 Summicron has been very positve. No doubt that it is a great lens, combining the best of the new technology in the 75mm focal length. The 75 Summicron is smaller than the 90 ASPH lens and seems to be as sharp. It may combine with a 28 or 35 to make the perfect compact 2 lens kit.

If this is an either/or question, please ask yourself which focal lens is most important to you and your photography. As much as I enjoy the Summilux, I also need a 90. I do not think that having the 75 focal length eliminates the need for the 90. You may feel otherwise. Unless you have experience with both focal lengths and have tried each of these lenses, how will you know what best fits your needs? What is best for me may not be best for you.

both lenses will be beautiful; theoretically.

the apo90 is bulkier than the apo75. the apo90 might be better on paper, you should read erwin puts about this, but in the practice of shooting it is questionable whether this will be seen in the results: in low-light I would prefer a more handy lens like the 75 for stability reasons.

the apo75 comes closer up (smaller object-field; 17*25cm) than the apo90 (22*33cm), which is in my experience, owning the s'lux 75, a very welcome addition to other m-lenses except the new 4.0/90.

I appreciate the focal length of 75 but that is a matter of personal working-style.

Although I recognize that you have asked about the Cron, you should consider the 75mm Lux, i.e. "Mr. Fantastic." Smooth, creamy, and pure "old school" Leica wide open; sharp as the 90mm APO at 5.6 and above, per the Putts-man; and natural perspective perfect for portraits etc. Too heavy? Really, not much different that the 90mm APO. Too close to the 50mm? You will not mistake your 75mm Lux shots with what you may or may not do with your 50mm. All in all, a very versatile lens.

I bought the 90/2 APO a while back, long before the 75/2 APO was introduced. If I were making the decision today, I would choose the 75/2 for several reasons. It is smaller and less bulky, it focuses in closer and gives a higher mag factor, it should perform very well in the close-up range due to the floating element design, and it is lighter. The angle of view (diagonal) is not much different between the 90 mm (27 degrees) and 75 mm (31 degrees) lenses; both are much different from the 50 (45 degrees).

Both will give you state of the art imaging quality in a short tele lens.

Frederick, I rarely carry both the 75 Summilux and the 90 Summicron AA lens at the same time. The versatility of the Summilux causes me to carry it more than the 90. I love its "look". I use the 90 SAA lens most of the time at maximum aperture. At F2 its sharpness is amazing. I also use the 1st Version 90 Elmarit when I don't need the attributes of the 90 SAA, and it is a lot lighter for combination in a multi lens kit. Truth be told, I could live without the 90 SAA lens, but it is so good wide open that I will keep it. Although lovely at all apertures, the 75 Summilux becomes just as sharp as the 90 SAA at about F4 - F5.6. Lately, I have been carrying the 75 Summilux along with the 28 Summicron. This is a good versatile combination that satisfies most needs for me, and the 28 Summicron has become almost my standard lens. . Occasionally, I will change up the 28 for the 35 Summicron ASPH and/or add the 21 ASPH for something wider.

I use both Summicrons but, as has already been stated above, I never carry

both.

The 90 'Cron is specialized and useful when you need the reach it provides.

The 75 'Cron is a more general purpose lens and easier to carry. Teaming

with a 28 or 35 makes a powerful duo. I sold my 75mm Summilux to get the

75 'Cron. The big Summilux was just too heavy and unwieldy even though it

too is a superb optic.

Ok, I admit it: I've never been much of a 50mm fan. My current 50 of choice is

the CV Nokton which I use mainly when I need its speed @ f/1.5.

One other detail to consider: the current Leica polarizer has a 49mm adapter

ring available so you could also use it on the 75. It will not fit the 90 'Cron.

Nothing odd about buying a 75mm when you also have a 50. Just because you have a 50 doesn't mean that you also don't have a 35. And, one can choose to carry a 35/75 combination, which seems to make sense to everyone.

Either way, i'd not be inclined to buy a 90mm rangefinder lens. My primary focal length is 50mm, and i'd still love to have the new 75 Summicron. For my R8, i have a 35/50/80 kit. 75 seems closer to 80 than 80 does to 90.

It all depends on what you need/want to shoot. If you need the 'reach,' 90 makes more sense. I like to shoot people, and don't need to do it surreptitiously from a greater distance. I guess if one were a photojournalist, a 90 would be a valuable item.