Photographing Cape May

john_cang

I have heard there is good shore-bird photography on Cape May, New Jersey, during the horseshoe crab nesting season, and am considering a visit there this spring. Any information and suggestions on methods, location, and timing would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any other nearby wildlife photo opportunites I should check out during a 2-week visit?

Every year around the few days of full moon in May, the horseshoe crabs will go onto the beaches to lay their eggs around the Cape May area. Lots and lots of shore bird will feed on those eggs, creating great photo opportunities around beaches in the area.

This year (1999), full moon is a bit late on May 30. According to the bird photography book by Arthur Morris, you can call the Cape May Bird Ovservatory at (609) 884-2736 to check on the conditions.

One of the good locations around Cape May is Reed's Beach facing the Delaware Bay.

Shun has given you the basic info for the horseshoe crab extravaganza. You don't have to hit the peak - conditions can be good over a period of a few weeks if you look around. You'll find the birds (Red Knots, Ruddy Turnstones, Sanderlings, Laughing Gulls for the most part) along the Delaware Bayshore on the west side of the cape. In addition to Reed's Beach try Moore's Beach and Thompson Beach. But conditions may have changed since I lived in NJ so call CMBO.

My favorite bird photo site in Cape May is the South Cape May Meadows

(as we veteran birders call it - now managed by The Nature Conservancy with a somewhat different name). You will sometimes find a Snowy Egret, Tri-colored Heron, Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpiper, etc. that will tolerate close attention from a quiet and patient photographer. Try setting up your tripod at it's lowest elevation with the legs spread wide and sit quietly behind it along the path.

Also consider taking the ferry from Cape May to Lewes, DE as a walk-on passenger - it takes about 90 minutes to cross the bay each way. You can get nice flight shots of Laughing Gulls as they follow the ferry waiting for popcorn from the passengers. A mid-range AF zoom (80-200, 75-300) is ideal for hand holding and framing the gulls as they "hang" in the air just off the top or side of the ferry.

Visit Sunset Beach at Cape May Point and walk up the bayside shoreline to the old pilings - this is a favorite roost for terns.

Spend some time at Cape May Court House State Park and you may be able to get decent photos of the resident Red-headed Woodpeckers.

Rich Ditch, former NJ resident birder/photographer, now in Phoenix

Mid May is a great time to be in So. Jersey for birds. Not only do you have the shorebirds attracted by the Horseshoe Crab eggs (unfortunately diminished over the years due to over-fishing by commercial fishermen who use them for chum), but also a solid passerine migration Apr.-May 15. In addition to spots already mentioned, look for Higbee Beach Mgt. Area, and further north, Brigantine (Forsyth) NWR.

You'll get great diversity during your visit, but unless you're carrying big glass "head shots" will probably be limited to the feeding shorebirds.

There is a terrific book on birding NJ, which describes the AM locations in detail. I forget the author's name...perhaps another could post it.

Good hunting.

You've already gotten some excellent suggestions in the previous responses. CMBO sponsors two weekend "festivals"--one in Spring and the other in Fall. I believe the next one is April 23-25; trips to Reed's Beach can be expected. I suggest you avoid the time of those trips but, unfortunately, I don't know when those will be.

There are a couple of ponds near the lighthouse at Cape May Point State Park. You ought to get some decent images earlier in the day as the sun is behind you. There are walking trails there as well and a couple years ago a long-earred owl was within 10 feet of the walkway.

Alternatively, you can try the beach (ocean side)and wait for people to herd some sanderlings your way.

Brigantine (Forsythe) NWR is an option though I'm not sure what will be there. I think snow geese will be long gone. I have seen avocets there, relatively close, on the northeast corner of the dike drive. Great blue herons and various ducks and/or geese are likely.

The book that was recomended is entitled "A Guide to Bird Finding in New Jersey" by William J. Boyle, Jr. and is published by Rutgers University Press.

Finally, I'd like to suggest a place called the Periwinkle Inn, located across from the beach at the northern end of town, if you need a room. Clean, reasonable, and with off-street parking.

Hope this helps.

Everyone has done a good job of covering the basics. In addition, visit Stone Harbor Point. The traditional rookery is now pretty much defunct, but in some years, a few heron and egret species nest in the dunes adjacent to the parking lot at the point. And the beaches facing both the ocean and the bay are usually productive for shorebirds, for gulls doing interesting things, and in spring, possibly for beach nesting birds like Piping Plover, Least Tern, and Black Skimmer, among others. (Take care to limit disturbance when photographing these beach nesters; sit, and leave the area if the birds do not return to the nest within a few minutes.)

Also worth exploring is Nummy's Island. Finally, try to locate an article that I did several years ago on photographing the shorebird/horseshoe crab phenomenon; it ran in Birder's World 3-5 years ago; it covers many details not yet covered in this thread.

Best and great picture making, Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART.

Thanks to all who responded with information and insight on how to photograph the Cape May area. I have only discovered this nature forum recently, but it is, by far, the most informative and professionally-mannered forum I have encountered.

There is an active heron rookery in Avalon, which isn't far from

Cape May. However, as usual for NJ, photography is difficult/impossible,

or was last time I was there a year or two ago. The rookery is in a small wooded park in the

middle of an urban area. You are not allowed into the park

(for obvious reasons) and you can't see the nests well (if at all)

from the surrounding streets/parking lot (There's either a fence or high bushes all around the edge of the park). You can see the birds

fly in and out and if you stand on top of the benches in the nearby

childrens playground (!) you can just see some of the nests, but the

whole thing is much of an excercise in frustration for a photographer.

Neat to see if you are in the area but not really a photo opportunity.

• 1 month later...

Dear Lester, The article ran in the June 1994 issue of Birder's World,

pages 33-37. I was at Cape May this weekend; the crabs are breeding and the

shorebirds are gathering! -- Greg Butcher

>Dear Sirs,

>Perhaps you would be able to help me identify a particular back-issue of

>Birder's World. I'm looking for an article written by Arthur Morris about

>photographing birds feeding on horseshoe crab eggs in Cape May NJ area.

>>>Also worth exploring is Nummy's Island. Finally, try to locate an article

>that I did several years ago on photographing the shorebird/horseshoe crab

>phenomenon; it ran in Birder's World 3-5 years ago; it covers many details

>(Arthur Morris)<<

>I tried your WWW search engine (the back issues service), but it did not

>produce any likely looking hits.

>Lester LaForce, Washington DC area.

Greg Butcher, Editor

Birder's World

Kalmbach Publishing Co

P.O. Box 1612 Waukesha WI 53187-1612

21027 Crossroads Circle Waukesha WI 53186-4055

Phone: 414/798-6584; Fax: 414/798-6468

Web: www.birdersworld.com

• 3 weeks later...

At the Avalon rookery, the children's playground now features a raised viewing platform for observation of resident birds. In direct line of sight is a pond located in the middle of the rookery. You will still need a long lens, however decent flight shots with shorter lens maybe possible when a birds entering or exiting the rookery chance to fly over or in front of the platform.

It was interesting to note a placard at former rookery in Stone Harbor which laments its present defunct status due to all former residents having decamped for Avalon. Also mentioned is intention of the local citizenry to lure them back. This apparently includes placement of plastic heron decoys at strategic locations around the Stone Harbor rookery. Photographers may wish to note these offer excellent opportunities for shots featuring superior dept-of-field characteristics.