Where is Schwabacher landing located?

atan

Hi All,

I am doing my research to Grand Teton in June and I have seen some

picture taken from Schwabacher Landing. I looked at the NPS map, but

I can't seem to find the location. Can someone tell me where it is?

Also, I am planning to camp out in grand teton, which spot is the

best place get a good view of the mountain range? Do you have any

suggestion where to take sunset and sunrise pictures? thanks for the

advice in advance.

regards.

You can't miss the landing. There's a sign for it along U.S. 191, about 4 or 5 miles north of the turnoff for Moose Junction (where the south park headquarters is).

That's the "standard" shot that, during the months of May-September, is crawling with photographers. There is room enough for about 8 people, side by side, to take that shot, and there will be many more than that when you arrive, most days during those months.

Sunset shots are not really available, unless you want to silohette the mountains and shoot the sunset. Most everything is westward-facing, that is, if you're shooting the same postcards that everyone shoots there.

A quick google image search shows several vantage points labelled "Schwabacher Landing", so I'd be willing to bet that if you're willing to walk a few feet, you might just be able to avoid the crowd, somewhat, especially if you aren't looking for the stereotypical shot. You might also consider planning in an extra day for scouting, sometimes just driving/hiking around a little can yield unexpected results.

And as for camping--Jenny Lake is small & has tents only (no RVs allowed). Just a short 100 yard stroll to the lake to shoot. Other great camping spots on lakes include Lizard Creek (at north end of Jackson lake), also small. Finally, Signal Mountain is excellent--in the middle of park on Jackson Lake. For convenience sake, I would choose Signal Mountain, or Jenny lake--but both fill before noon usually in the summer--so go early (first come, first served). Early June is less crowded then later. By mid June--you should have nice flower displays on the valley (not yet in mountains)--but make sure you hike at least one of the canyons. Enjoy!

Regarding Joshua's statement, there are plenty of places along the banks that work. Everyone congregates in that one spot because there are more trees and such reflected in the beaver pond. What gets me is that everyone lines up right along the bank, and they don't realize that if they would all back up about 5 feet and get the side of the bank in the bottom of the frame, you have a much better picture. Hard to get everyone to go along with that idea!

Don't get me wrong, it's fine, and Joshua is right, you can find SOME sort of picture somewhere, but my idea of a good shot might not be the same as yours! Good luck and enjoy!

Don't forget Oxbow Bend, much more popular because it's right there on the drive, but also more room to move around....

MH<div>00Fhvq-28913584.jpg.4a5af67c09e2c92e2c638ca5e26e7fb4.jpg</div>

As others have said, expect a crowd to be at the landing for the sunrise during your trip. I was there twice last summer, each time WELL before sunrise, and was able to get there first and stake my claim to the garden spot where everyone congregates. There's a reason why that particular spot is so popular. The position of the trees creates the most pleasing composition anywhere along the beaver pond. Move left or right more than 10 feet or so and the composition just isn't as pleasing owing to the trees either obstructing your view of the Tetons or not framing the scene as they do in the more popular spot. In my opinion, the best alternative in the immediate vicinity is to shoot the peaks reflecting not in the beaver pond but in the Snake River just down the trail from the parking lot.

As for other spots in the park, I echo Michael's recommendation for Oxbow Bend. In contrast to Swabacher's landing where every picture is going to look more or less the same, there is a multitide of possible compositions at Oxbow Bend. You can use every lens in your bag there and you can move along the bank and find your own space away from other photographers.

Dave, seems like Jenny Lake or Signal Mt. are the strategic spots to camp judging from the map. I will try to get there early to "claim" my camp spot :) Michael and Brett, those are nice pictures you shared. thanks. First time I saw the shot from schwabacher landing in Tim Fitzharris' book and it was just amazing. Do you all think 2 days in Grand Tetons is sufficient to, at least, see the main landscape? I know there are many many spots to explore.

regards.

Jenny Lake is a poor spot for a shot. It's too close to one of the mountains to get Grand Teton in the shot, and too big to use as a reflection. You'll know what I mean when you get there. I haven't been to Signal Mountain that I know of.

When you get to Teton, get out and hike the trails. If you don't have time for that, then stick to the landing, Oxbow Bend and Snake River overlook. You can shoot all your shots in those three places and come up with something good. I've been there many times and wasted too much time trying to find other spots that didn't work out. This is true if you DON'T have the time to hike up some of the trails in the park.

Michael,

I am thinking to spend 2 days in Teton before I head to other places. From your experience, which trails are the best? I guess it's kindda subjective, but since this is my first time to Tetons, I would love to hear what you think. thanks again.