D70 'Holga'

I would like to take 'Holga-like' pictures with my D70, but can't

afford a Lensbaby. Has anybody else experimented with plastic lenses?

Having read about the Digital Pinhole and the Digital Holga, I had a

go myself. I made a Digital 'Brownie' 127 with 'DAKON' lens, and it

worked, sort of.

All I did was recycle the original (knackered) camera by removing

the lens and apeture fitting and mounting them securely to my D70

body cap.

I had to make sure everything was dry, sealed and dust free before

fitting, of course.

I expected wide angle pictures, but instead got them slightly

magnified (70mm) without distortion. - Focussed image too big for

sensor, I think.

Well, you're getting narrower coverage than you expected with the 70mm lens not because of the image circle size but because of the focal length. Any 70mm lens will give you the same coverage.

I've used the Loreo Lens-In-A-Cap for a Holga-like look. Works quite well. This is a fixed-focus 35mm lens with multiple apertures. I think the largest is f/5.6, and you can go down to f/32.

http://www.loreo.com/pages/products/loreo_lenscap.html

-Dave-

The Holga is actually somewhat wide-angle- which differentiates it from most of the different box cameras made in the past. It also makes it difficult to reproduce the exact effect by sticking a simple lens on an SLR- you are limited on what you can do without a retrofocus design.

I would think the Holga look would be better reproduced digitally if you're working with a digital camera. Or better yet, cruise the garage sales and find the "next Holga", some ol' cheap digital that has marginal performance.

I took a Nikon body cap and made it into a "pinhole" lens, so to

speak. Drilled a tiny hole in the middle, mounted it on the D70

and was able to use it to produce some images.

I'm still in the process of fine-tuning it, but it has the possibility of

some interesting images.<div>00EBam-26491984.jpg.e28abab4d2b3171d95562db35a7311f5.jpg</div>

You could try playing around with cheap/old/scratched UV or skylight filters. <p>

I've known people who would paint clear nailpolish on them or coat them with artist's spray mount. You could coat just the outer portion of the filter and leave the center clear or coat the whole glass to varying degrees depending on what you like. Also, just breathing on a lens/filter (in cold enough weather) will create an interesting soft/fogged look which might suit some particular images.<p>You can also stack the filters to create vignetting.<p>

Then there's always photoshop, but that's not as much fun.

A really simple way to duplicate the look of the Holga is to take Vaseline and coat a UV filter with it. Thick on the outside and a thin coat in the middle. When you are done fooling around, wash it off with hot water. I have a polaroid back for a Holga with a few packs of film, the first person that emails me I will mail it to them for nada. I monkeyed around with the polaroid back but was not creative enough to make any decent images with it so I would like to give it to someone.