1DS or 5D?

glen_seelenbrandt1

Been happily shooting with my 20D for the past 3 months, but have

decided that I really need to go full-frame (I shoot a lot super-wide

angle stuff). I know that the 5D is really new, but being a

professional, I really like the feel of a huge hunking piece of

magnesium. Many of the specs seem similar, but I'm a little worried

that the 1DS is a bit dated at this point. They are similar in price

if I buy the 1DS used. What should I do? Help!

Find someone who has a 1Ds, fondle it and shoot with it, compare the feel, response and most importantly the files with a 5D at your local store.

The 5D is a lot stronger than the 20D by feel, really suprised me, I'd expected plastic feel but it isn't.

On another forum with a similar question someone mentioned that the 1Ds is a great 'iso 100' camera. After comparing the files, I used to own a 1Ds and am getting a 5D, I concur entirely. Iso 640 on the 1Ds looks like 3200 on the 5D to my eyes. The 1Ds will have banding in the shadows at all iso's if it is underexposed by even half a stop. It's heavier and the screen is both unsharp and slow. The battery life is about half although the size is double. The RAW buffer is tiny compared to the 5D.

The 5D fits ~58 images (RAW only) to a 1gig card, the 1Ds fitted ~78. I've just traded all my 1 gig cards for 2 gig.

BUT, make your own choice, buying something at that price range is not something you do based on faceless reports and opinions on the 'net.

As a 10D owner eventually planning on moving up, I look at the issue as a matter of ISO flexibility and physical portability vs. build quality. If you shoot only landscapes from the tripod and anything above ISO 100 isn't used, the benefits of all-weather shooting would be seen with a 1Ds. If you need a lighter camera to carry and shoot handheld on occasion, then the 5D is the logical choice.

Yeah, I've thought about the weight of the camera as I shoot in the backcountry - snowboarding and mountainbiking primarily. I have lugged my 1N's on to mountain tops everywhere covered with snow and not, so I guess I have those mucles built up and am not too worried about it. I do shoot a lot of off camera flash stuff, mainly with radio slaves and Q flashes, so the ttl stuff is not a super big deal. I guess, I just want to make sure that the camera is going to give me the quality that I want. I've been warned that digital is not the same as film, but so far it has worked ok for magazine stuff. I have not noticed the banding yet (with the 20d), I guess I'll some research on that. Thanks for all the input so far, it's been a big help.

I would stay away from the 1Ds at this point in time. <p>

Your consideration should be between 1DsMKII and 5D. If you can't afford 1DsMKII' then get the 5D. Note that there are rumours the Mark III will come out this summer, so the 1DsMKII prices should drop. 5D prices will drop regardless as it is currently overpriced.<p>

I have a 1DMKII and the 1.3x crop factor is not significant for me - much less of a problem than 1.6x. I would not consider any non-1 after using the 1DMKII.<p>

Shlomi<p>

<a href="http://www.shlomi.net">www.shlomi.net</a>

I haven't used the 5D, but I can tell you my feelings about the 1Ds.

There's not a single day that I shoot with it that I don't want to hold it by the strap, and slowly start swinging it in a big circle over my head, building momentum until I finally smash it against a building, or sidewalk, or rock. Not that it would hurt it of course--the damn thing is built like a tank.

But it frustrates the hell out of me how long it takes to get an image preview on the LCD screen. It takes too long with an empty CF card, and takes longer and longer as the CF card fills up.

I also try not to use it at anything over ISO 320. To me, it's just too noisy after that, and not in a pleasing (somewhat unobjectionable) way like film grain.

I also can't believe how fast it goes through batteries. Even the higher capacity aftermarket ones. When I'm on the road, I always bring 3 batteries along. Two are always with me, and one is usually charging back in the truck.

Which brings me to the next problem. The sheer size and weight of the thing. I think it's just under 4 pounds, and I swear the batteries each weigh about a pound. So the camera and a spare battery alone (without any lenses) are enough to tire you out after lugging them around all day. The height of the thing also forces me to remove the quick release plate from the bottom when using the 70-200 f/2.8. Otherwise I can't mount the lens to the tripod because the quick release plate on the camera body interferes with the quick release lever on the tripod head. Then when I've finished with the 70-200 and want to use another lens, I have to re-attach the quick release plate to the body again to be able to mount it to the tripod. Kind of defeats the purpose of having quick release plates on everything.

All that said, the image quality of the 1Ds can be absolutely stunning at lower ISO speeds, and the body is indestructible.

However, I think all its shortcomings have also been addressed in the 5D as well, and I'm sure Canon wouldn't release a body that didn't produce state of the art images.

And no, I won't be upgrading. The lifecycle of digital bodies is too short, and the upgrade cycle is too expensive to keep upgrading. At least until a FF digital body with ECF comes out. That's when I'll upgrade again.