580ex plus softbox - possible?

julie_glover

I use mine in a Photek Softliter II umbrella. If you're not familiar with it, it can be used as an umbrella in shoot thru and bounce, has a silver and gold reflector disk, and has a nice cover for softbox exposures. The black back cover can be removed for shoot thru, but I like the softbox, so I don't shoot thru the umbrella. I love the cover and the flash does work fine. Sensor "sees" through the softbox translucent cover. Its solidly built, easy to use and its mobile. $60 at B&H. Got an off brand multiclamp for use with a lightstand. Fast and EZ. Love it. Travels extremely well - catchlights are not square either. As with any soft system, it works better the closer to the subject.

There are those little mini "softbox" diffusers you can put over the flash in a portable situation, but I don't find them compelling anymore. Frankly, I stopped using the Stofen with the 580, and just dial down the exposure between -1 and -2 stops. Never a problem with RAW shooting and light is natural. Folks like the Lightsphere II.