What AF lens should be used for closeups for a Mamiya 645AF

photocook

I just got a Mamiya 645AF with a 80mm lens and on a recent shoot discovered I was not

able to get a tighter shot of my models face. I'm looking at purchasing another lens ,

which would be more suited the 150mm or the 55mm? Can either of those be used for

macro or close to it?

Something between 150mm and 250mm is probably what you're looking for.

I found myself standing uncomfortably close to models with a 150mm and my Hasselblad for a head shot, so I bought a 250mm. It's great!

How do you find the autofocus on your 645AF? How fast is it / how well does it work in low light (weddings and receptions are my intended uses)?

Thanks,

Bryan A Thompson

I find the 645af to be very fast, still trying to figure out the auto focus with low light, I had

to put my model light at full power to focus on my model and then put it back for the

shot, it was in a room that was totally black and had a background light several feet away.

I shoot portraits on a Mamiya 645AF and I have a set of Hoya close-up filters (+1,

+2, +4) that I use on my three lenses (55mm, 80mm, 150mm) if I need to get closer. I

haven't noticed any

degradation of quality as a result of using these filters, though I'm sure tubes would

photograph lens test charts better. I can't be dealing with the exposure compensations

that

tubes would require (I meter everything with a light meter) - and the Hoya filters are dead

cheap.

I prefer the 80mm (or even 55mm) for close-up portraits, but if you're going for a

conservative look, then the 150mm (or longer) would be more appropriate.

I've never used the auto-focus feature on the 645AF - I don't care for bobbing the

camera back and forth to achieve focus.

• 5 weeks later...