Just picked up a 30D

jcolwell

First one in Halifax. Looks a lot like my 20D (no surprise). The

larger screen on the back is very nice, and I look forward to

saturating the buffer with a burst of about 3 seconds at 5 fps.

Funny how much cleaner it looks than a 18 month old 20D.

Dan, it cost $1649.95 CA (before tax) for body-only at Carsand Mosher Photographic in Halifax, and the same price is quoted for Vistek and Henry's in Toronto (+/- $1). Maybe I'll have some experiences to share on the 20D vs 30D next week, as I plan to burn a lot of digits this weekend. Cheers, Jim.

My travel-light kit is an EF 17-40/4 L, EF 50/1.4 and EF 70-200/2.8 L IS. I'll often take an EF 300/4 L IS and sometimes EF 28-80/2.8-4 L as well. I have the EF 24/2.8 and 100/2.8 Macro USM, plus a number of other brand primes from 18/3.5 to 400/3.5; most are Carl Zeiss Contax T* and SMC Pentax/Takumar. <p>Now that I have two dSLR bodies, I figure I'll often go with the 17-40/4, 70-200/2.8 and 300/4 IS with 1.4x Extender - a body+lens on strap for each shoulder plus a single LowePro Lens Case 4 on my back for the unmounted lens. My most favourite Carl Zeiss Tessar T* 45/2.8 "pancake" lens will always be nearby, probably stuck in a pocket with some batteries & CF cards. Of course, my car trunk will have a bunch of other now-empty lens cases and camera bags waiting for my return... Jim.

Erin & Carlos, don't get me wrong, I sometimes even use a tripod with my dSLR (esp. for low light, macro & super tele), but I really look to the EOS system for fast-response hand-held shots. When I want to take my time and smell the roses (or whatever is in the field), then I'm generally using medium or large format film. Every system has its strengths & weaknesses.