Super Tak 8 Element / Green "R"

ity

I have recently acquired a Pentax Spotmatic with a Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens. Both

appear to be functioning correctly and will soon be sent off for a CLA. Having noticed that

the body appears to be an early green "R" (on the rewind knob), would I be right in

thinking that the lens must be an early (first year) eight element Super-Tak? As I'm sure

your aware, Herbert Keppler's "The Pentax Way" book states that the later seven element

Super-Tak 50mm f/1.4 must only be used on later orange "R" bodies, else damage may

occur (I don't seem to have any damage - I hope!). So far I have not managed to deduce

the visible difference between these lenses. Also, my lens has what appears to be isotope

decay, which in time, I shall attempt to cure via UV exposure (yep, the kitchen window and

alu foil). Body is s/n. 1457659 and lens is s/n. 2288391. Many thanks for any help on this

matter. - Ian.

Based on SN and yellowing, yours is probably a very early one. I have cleared several yellowed lenses by sunlight, the most recent a Super Tak 50/1.4 SN 2546xxx. My recommendation for speeding up a very slow process: put it directly in sunlight when possible and alternate aiming the front and rear of the lens at the sun. Window glass will absorb some UV light as will the lens elements.

Keppler's book is referring to the pre-Spotmatic S1a and SV (H1a and H3v in the US and Mexico). The 50/1.4 would not work with the earlier green R bodies because the mirror would collide with the protruding rear element of the lens. When the 50/1.4 was introduced in 1964, the S1a and SV mirror was redesigned to correct this problem. These cameras were marked with an orange R. I'm not certain if this applies to only the 8-element version, or all 50/1.4 Takumars.

As far as I know, all Spotmatics have a green R. It doesn't mean anything on cameras other than the S1a and SV. The Spotmatic was introduced in 1964 at the same time as the first version of the 50/1.4, so all 50/1.4s are compatible with all Spotmatics. The S1a and SV (with orange R) remained in production alongside the Spotmatic until 1968.

There should be a number stamped on the rear of the auto/manual switch of the lens. If it is 358, it's the 8-element version. The 7-element version is either 378 or 37801.

Guys, many thanks for the advice. Ryan, my lens is a 37800. I've just run a roll of XP2 Super

through it and some frames are dark on the right hand side, I presume a shutter fault? The

meter seems to be OK. And although I've not looked in detail, the lens appears to be very

sharp indeed. I shall persevere.- Ian.

• 2 months later...