That's the one I'm using and I really am happy with it. I went through 2 models of the Graphire before I btoke down and got the Intuos. You learn as you go with these things. Luckily, I sold the others to colleagues who aren't using them primarily for photography.

From earlier posts here on the forum, it makes a difference the type of background you have (i.e., "large sweeping, painterly" strokes or something tighter). Since I have very tiny handwriting, the smaller tablet is just right for me but it obviously wouldn't work for those with a larger, sweeping-style motion.

I would buy it again if mine disappeared.

Conni

6x8 Graphire4. Works great. I use it to retouch maybe 1 out of every 5 photos I process. I find the 512-level pressure sensitivity plenty.

In my testing, the differences between the Graphire4 and the Intuous3 seemed to come down to two things:

1. The resolution of the Intuos is greater, both on the X and Y axes and in the pressure levels. But I personally don't see any advantage here. I work in Photoshop CS2 on a 17 inch LCD monitor, and the Graphire gives me more than enough control. But then, I'm no pro.

2. The Intuous pen has the same buttons and the same functionality, but it's a little more substantial, and you can switch out the tips for different feels (and ostensibly different precision). Eh. Maybe if I were atcually creating original drawings this would make a difference.

That's my two cents. But like I said, I'm no pro. Just an enthusiastic amateur. :-)

if you've got the budget, go for the Intuos. I used to use a graphire for my work station at the office (tiny 4x5) them I decided I needed something larger (6x8) intuos and since I've seen where all that extra money had gone to.

Indeed, for most the pressure differences are irrelevant. For me the intuos made all the difference especially for minute details. The size factor is sort of like difference between using 135 and 4x5; there's more detail in the larger. High resolution gives better accuracy therefore larger tablet gives you wide scope.

Whatever you choose, get a feel for the tablet (try the dummy if they have one). IMO, don't bother with the 4x5 tab - you'll just regret it.

good luck

It should be mentioned that these days there is a 6x8 model of the Graphire as well. The 4x5 Graphire is really very cramped so the 6x8 model should probably be considered if you have the cash. Beyond that the extra features of the Intuos might not be worth it to you if you aren't actually doing drawing.

I had a Graphire 4x5 tablet and hardly ever used it. I was fortunate to be able to try out the 6

x 8 Intous3 and decided to purchase one. I really like it so much, I no longer use a mosue for

my everyday compouter use. The sliders and buttons on the tablet can be used for your most

used Photoshop items. ie: a slider for zoom and the other slider for brush size. Buttons can

be programed for 100% view, fill screen view, levels, curves, etc. One of the best additions

I've made to my computer set up. Highly recommended.

I have the Intuos 3 6x8 and have had it for slightly over a month. I like it. I use it in mouse mode, otherwise I would be required to give up over a decade of mouse skills and 50% of the tablet real-estate for a proportional mapping of 2 displays onto the tablet.

The customizable buttons are what sold me on the Intuos 3 over the Graphire 3 (8 versus zero on the Graphire 3, 2 on the Graphire 4).

The 6x8 pad area is about the size of a mouse pad (slightly smaller) so it should fit in your bodies preconceived motions well. I would not mind a larger one(more room to ignore where I put the pen down and just work), but it would require a bigger desk.

The various setting take a while to tweak to your own needs (remember all those silly failures to control the mouse properly that you have every week if you are a heavy computer user). The double click needs tuning and will likely require adjustment as your skills develop.

The mouse that comes with it, well I have never taken it out of its packaging so I cannot comment (I about the tablet to stop using a mouse). I do seriously suggest using the tablet for everything until you get used to it. Unplug your mouse and make it inconvenient to use, you will learn the new tool faster.

some thoughts,

Sean

I use an Intous 3 (6x8) - the sensitivity and resolution<br>

is much, much better compared to my old Graphire. <br>

The Graphire is ok for occasional use, but if you plan <br>

to use the tablet a lot, especially for demanding work, <br>

then the Intuos is the way to go...<p>

First, I found the buttons and touchstrips of the Intuos<br>

pretty annoying, because it's very easy to hit them by <br>

accident. I deactivated the buttons and touchstrip on<br>

the right (I am right-handed) and also deactivated the <br>

lower 'click' on the pen). <p>

I don't use the mouse that comes with it, because I have<br>

the tablet centered in front of the screen - keyboard<br>

in front of the tablet. The regular computer mouse gets<br>

occasional contact only - I love to utilize the pen for almost<br>

everything (I'm a graphic designer/retoucher)...<p>

On the job the computers are equipped with the 9x12 Intuos,<br>

I can't tell about any advantage over the 6x8

Late on to this thread. but I have the 4x5 version because of desk space. I find it works quite well, and don't see the need for a larger pad. I just set my buttons on the pad to zoom and unzoom I can work very accurately in close up areas down to the pixel if need be. Its great for dodging burning, masking of all kinds, clone and healing. Could I do w/o it? Yes, but it makes a lot of things easier and faster.

Late on to this thread. but I have the 4x5 version because of desk space. I find it works quite well, and don't see the need for a larger pad. I just set my buttons on the pad to zoom and unzoom I can work very accurately in close up areas down to the pixel if need be. Its great for dodging burning, masking of all kinds, clone and healing. Could I do w/o it? Yes, but it makes a lot of things easier and faster.