KM 7D vs. 5D: three questions

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post my questions. As the

topic says, I have three questions regarding the comparison.

1. How observable/significant is the LCD resolution difference between

the two cameras? I mean in real world usage. Are there any users of

the 5D who are hindered by the lower resolution LCD display on the

back? [or should my question be are there any users of the 5D? at all :)]

2. Is it not true that the 7D can take AA batteries (owing to an

integrated grip) while the 5D cannot? Would people consider this of

major impact? (Ok I know it's silly to ask you that, I can tell just

as well)

3. Are there any who have used the 5D and find that the 7D's expansive

outer body controls and dials would be more convenient, or any users

of the 7D who think the lack of these on the 5D would mean troublesome

mucking around with menus?

Thanks. Any opinions from users would be tremendously helpful.

Suggestions from non-users may be insightful as well.

Hello Anand,

I can't comment on questions 1 & 3 as I've never held the 5D. I do own the 7D with grip though. It can use (and I have used) AA batteries with the VC7D grip. It is preferable to use NiMH batteries.

As to whether this would be the reason to get it over the 5D, no. I would get it over the 5D for the interface, the build quality, the more pro features, specially with only a $100 difference right now. It is nice being able to use AA's in a pinch but you can get third party replacement batteries (LIon) for under $20 delivered.

Mark

Anand,

You're going to have to wait for any 5D reports unless you look to someone like the guy at LuminousLandscape.com who had a pre-production model. I don't know that anyone has a production 5D yet- everything I've seen says it'll be available in October. I did get to handle one at a Photoshop workshop where several Canon reps were there and there was one 5D there- it handles & works pretty much like a 20D, just a little bigger with a nicer, bigger LCD on the back, nicer, brighter viewfinder and no built-in flash. Bigger to me was the 17-40L mounted was awsome at 17mm. I have that lens and will eventually have either a 5D or later version down the road.

For most users I'd venture a guess their decision was made about brand BEFORE either of these two bodies came out, so be prepared to see that in responses. The Minolta 7D does me no good, no matter the user convenience. The inconvenience of selling all my EF lenses, flash units, etc and replace them with Minolta equivalents isn't enough to draw me to any other model, especially the way Canon supports their products and continually updates/upgrades. I imagine the same can be said of any dedicated Minolta user who waited, seemingly forever, for that company to finally release the 7D. Making a decision based soley on a current body made today makes no sense since you simply are not going to buy one and keep it for 10-15 years like we used to. For me, the EF lens mount/RING USM focusing motor was the deal maker, and that was long before Canon had any digital bodies to use one with. If I were starting today I'd be very tempted with Minolta's built-in image stabilization in the body.

Why would the LCD resolution be a big deal in trying to decide between these two? No matter the resolution, one would be a fool to try and determine the quality of an image without downloading and looking at it on a computer screen. Use the LCD to read a histogram and/or to check composition only, not to verify sharpness. In any event, the 2.5 inch LCD on the 5D looked pretty darn good to me.

Even if the 5D allowed the use of AA batteries the capacity of shots per charge probably wouldn't be worth the hassel. The dedicated battery packs over the long run are much more economical and hold their charge for quite a few shots.

Hey thanks for the responses.

I did actually see and hold a Minolta 5D yesterday at the local Wolf (eek..). They said they had just got it the day before (that makes it Friday).

Unfortunately, the sales rep said he had only one memory card and I could only alternate between the 7D and the 5D (Maxxum). So I didn't have a chance to look at the shot in the LCD in the two cameras simultaneously. Bummer.

Anyway, I confess I know nothing about digital shooting, and how important the qualities of the LCD are. Only what I have read. There are constant mentions of how you check the picture on the LCD and make adjustments. So I thought it may be important. Of course, if this is only used to check histogram (for clipping, tonal distribution etc..) or composition, I understand that LCD resolution is irrelevant. Please enlighten me on this aspect.

I thought the 7D was able to take AAs as is. Can someone specifically confirm this? I agree that this is not a big deal, as AAs probably don't last very much and in conditions where recharging etc are not an option, one must anyway have a mechanical camera backup.

Greg, I'm actually not looking at any of these cameras for my own purposes. The responsibility of making a recommendation from the sub $1k DSLR market for someone else has fallen to me. Since this person has no existing lens line up to be loyal to, the considerations you have mentioned are probably not very important.

If it were me, I'd have to go for the Nikon offering having Nikon lenses. However, on second thoughts since all the Nikkors I have (or am likely to have), with the exception of the one AF 180 prime are manual lenses that wont meter on the D70 variants I might not stick to the Nikon. In which case, I would pick the Minolta 7D. I like its build quality which I think is superior to any of the other sub $1k alternatives, and in fact even like its slightly larger proportions.

I own a 7D. Don't base your buying decision on the resolution of the LCD panel. It's good for one thing: checking the histogram. You don't need a lot of resolution for that. I can't look at just the image on the panel and decide whether the exposure is ok, or if it's in focus. The resolution is not that good.

(1) I have a 7D and I do use it to check focus fairly often, since the small viewfinder and sometimes-balky AF can make focus a hit-or-miss affair. I haven't seen the 5D, but in constrast to the last poster, I find the 7D's screen is good enough for this. Of course the most frequent use will be to check the camera's settings and then to use the exposure histogram.

(2) The 7D by itself DOES NOT take AA batteries; only the optional vertical grip, which greatly increases the size of the camera, takes such batteries. I have no interest in making the camera bigger, will never use it away from easily available electricity for recharging, and the standard battery lasts plenty long. Unless your friend has special needs (i.e. shoots entirely in vertical format), this probably isn't an issue.

(3) Haven't used the 5D. Can't say.

1. While it is true that the rear LCD is used for checking the histogram, and that does not need a lot of resolution, the rear LCD also shows the blown out highlights. 7D shows a small histogram and a small thumbnail that alternatively shows the light and dark patches in the image. This is very useful and might not work in a smaller resolution screen, at least not as well. I do not know how the 5D handles this. Maybe it just shows the histogram?

2. I have the grip for 7 but not for 7D. At least the 7 grip can use AA's instead of lithiums. If the 7D grip works the same way then it would certainly be an advantage in remote locations. I feel the 7 body is a bit small and the grip helps, but for the 7D I have not yet bought it. I feel the body is big enough to get a good grip without it. Also, the 7D uses rechargeable batteries and they last quite well. It is easy enough to switch batteries once during the day if required. I do not feel the need to have two batteries in the body at all times. For 7, the choice is between CR123 or AA's. With the grip you can have both, the 123's in the camera as backup while the AA's in the grip are used. To me this is a real benefit. AA's last about 30 rolls in the 7. I don't think they would last very long in the 7D. Just my opinion and personal preference, balancing size and weight and usability.

3. I very much prefer the direct controls in 7D, even more so since they are the same as in the film 7. Much easier to switch between the two. I now use the 7 for b/w. I suppose it depends a bit where you come from. If you have grown up with manual bodies and traditional film bodies where everything is set from a switch or dial and all settings are there to see, then the 7D would be just right. There are a lot of buttons and switches but they all have a very clear function and it does not feel cluttered to me at all. If you move up from a digital point and shoot that is all menu based then maybe the 5D is more familiar. But I would hate to have to press five buttons to get to a third level of a menu every time I need to change ISO speed or flash compensation or to set the self timer.

There seems to be a widespread misconception that the KM 5D is not widely available; this is totally false. Regular production versions of the KM 5D became available in Asia in late July or early August, in Europe in the latter part of August, and in the U.S. at the end of August. Mine arrived September 7 (U.S.).

As to the LCD, I would certainly prefer the 7D's higher-resolution screen, but the 5D's has about the same number of pixels as most digital camera LCD's, even many DSLR's.

I pre-ordered mine in July, before the 7D rebates, price drops, etc. were announced. I like the 5D a lot, but today, for $100 more, I would say get the 7D unless the 5D's smaller size outweighs the 7D's better viewfinder, sturdier construction, more mechanical controls (as opposed to menus), and higher-resolution LCD.