EXIF Distance information on EOS lenses

df-gallery

I was recently looking at the EXIF data through Capture One and

noticed that my 70-200/4 did show focus distance information, whereas

my 50/2.5 macro didn't? Is there a reason why only certain lenses will

show focus distance information? Would it be correct to assume that

USM lenses will provide focus distance information, whereas AFD lenses

won't? Or is it a little more complex than that? Thanks, David.

<p>My 20D does not report subject distance in the EXIF tags, even though 2 or 3 (depending on what source you read; I believe 3) of my 4 lenses do report it to the camera. DPP, EVU, and ACR do not provide this information, either, so I think it's safe to say that the 20D simply does not record it in any of the files it creates. Some older EOS DSLRs apparently do, which is a bit silly since older EOS DSLRs don't actually use the focus distance info whereas the 20D does.</p>

<p>As a general guideline, ring USM lenses with mechanical full-time manual focusing provide it; others (ring USM lenses with electronic FT-M, micro USM, and non-USM) do not. But that's a guideline, not a hard-and-fast rule.</p>

The subject distance isn't provided or isn;t accessible in the EXIF metadata, for the following camera bodies:

Canon 350D, Canon 20D, Canon 1Ds, Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon 1D Mark II, Konica Minolta 7D, Konica Minolta A2, Sony DSC-F828.

I don't know about the new Canon 5D.

The distance is not very precise and I guess Canon didn't want it being "misused".

David doesn't mention what body he is using but my guess would be a 300D/Digital Rebel.