using non-dedicated flash unit with Nikon F100

CosteaM

I have to use a flash for a shoot and I don't have any of the Nikon

speedlight dedicated units recommended in the manual. If I connect a

basic Vivitar low GN flash to the sync terminal (not the hot-shoe) is

there any danger of damaging the camera. I appreciate your expert

opinion. Thanks

Rhaytana (Tim Adams), you are correct. I don't use flash but now I have to so I was thinking of a quick solution. I know about KEH but that takes time. If I find something afordable in my local store (used gear - SB-22s or SB-23) I may consider. Cheers,

Older Vivitar flash units have high synch voltages (up to 250v) that can damage the F100. Power up the flash and measure the voltage across the hotshoe contacts with a DC voltmeter. If it's higher than 12-15 volts don't use it without a voltage reducing device like a Wein Safe-Sync.

New Vivitar flashes have low voltage and are safe to use.

Michael Erlich, thank you for the suggestion. I will check that out before anything else. On the way home I stopped at the local store and saw the SB-26 for C$100 (used). I think it's not a bad deal and comes with a 6 mo guarantee. I will have to decide . thank you all.

Ha, ia te uita, multumesc de mesaj. tocmai am luat un bonus de craciun asa ca pot sa ma opresc in drum spre casa sa-mi cumpar flashul SB-26 (nu e nou dar in perfecta stare) de la magazinul foto local. Voi putea trage pozele in conditii normale. Numai bine si Craciun fericit.