Bride's Mom can not pay

Jack has a good point. I don't care who pays the bill, my first loyalty is to what the bride and groom want for their wedding. I need to put that in my contract, like, "regardless of who makes payment on the wedding photography fees, I take photographic direction only from the bride and groom."

If they don't know you're not going to show up because mom can't pay, I think that would send a bad message to the bride and groom.

You've got to bring them into this.

It is funny how many photographers get caught into the same trap of non-payment. If it were me facing this situation... I would probably explain to the mother that a contract is a legal and standing agreement between two or more parties. Breach of contract means no refund along with no services rendered. No in's and or but's. Everyone else is getting paid on or before the day of the wedding... and everyone has a contract. Why does it have to be me who suffers the consequence of her lack of money.<br><br> If the mother keeps insisting, I would state that the Bride and the Groom has to be aware of the situation and a possibility of not having a photographer to have a memory of their wedding. I would explain to them that the contract was violated and as per the contract, the services do not have to be rendered on the wedding day. No money, no photos. For the future, I would separate the retainer fees from the cost of producing the albums and prints so that I get paid in full prior to the wedding regardless of what the B&G decides to do with the rest of the images.