Thinking about buying a Flash Site

stacy_dallman

I am considering purchasing a dre-designed flash website which

includes the following:

***templatename.swf - this is the compiled Flash file.

***index.html - the HTML page with the code that embeds the flash

file on the page.

***templatename.txt - the text file which you will be editing

according to the instructions, which will update the content on your

flash file.

***readme.txt - instructions on how to use the template and edit

your site content.

***photogallery.txt - the text file which you will be editing

according to the instructions, which will update the gallery main

page text, titles and descriptions of your image gallery.

So I then need a webhosting plan (which they offer through a third

party), this is where I am confused. How do I get the files which

they give me onto the website. The site I have now is simple with

templates. I know how to update the pictures in the HTML (if this is

the right term) but thats about all I know how to do.

Does anyone else use flash sites? I would love to hear some tips!!!!

If you are just talking about taking files on your computer and uploading them to the website then it should be quite simple. Some (most?) hosts will have a "user panel" or "administrative page" - basically part of the site where you log on and have access to some website controls - like uploading files. It is usually something simple like photo.net uses to allow you to upload photos to your gallery - a "browse" button which allows you to pick the file on you computer to upload - most hosts allow you to upload multiple at a time. You should contact your host about the specifics.<br>

<br>

The other option - if your host allows it - is to use an FTP program (FTP = file transfer protocol) which essentially creates a link between your computer and your host server. Some are fairly easy to use - you can drag entire folders onto your site. I use <a href="www.smartftp.com">SmartFTP</a>, a shareware program.<br>

<br>

If this is all too confusing your hosting company should be able to help you through it all. If you are interested I offer webspace through my site (<a href="www.zinzio.com">Zinzio Media</a>)and could help you through the set-up and transfer process. I may also be able to help with more specifics if you want to email me (you can find my address through photo.net or through my website). GOod Luck.

Stacy,<BR><BR>

I use CuteFTP to upload my files to my site <a href="http://www.cuteftp.com">http://www.cuteftp.com</a>. Very easy to use. The best part I like is that I high highlight as many files in a folder as I like, click the upload icon, and walk away while the files upload. Other FTP programs have limits on the number of files you can upload at one time.

<BR><BR>

Best of luck, -CW