Shooting SP with a Leica in NYC a safe idea?

sam_chan4

I'm planning on going to NYC for some street photography, but have

never been there before. I am pretty gutsy about taking photos a few

feet right in front of people, but am wondering if certain places in

NYC are truly not safe for doing that unless I want someone

following me with intentions of taking my gear. Does anyone have

suggestions for areas to avoid if I'm holding a Leica in my hands?

I'm trying to decide whether to take my Leica (preferred) or my

Nikon (if your feedback warrants it) ...

I've heard various stories, so don't know if I should bring out my

favourite camera.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sam- NYC is a pretty safe place, as long as you keep your wits about you. There are a

number of other regulars here who live in or near NYC and shoot there with Leicas

and other expensive cameras all the time. I carry my M3 with me everyday, often

hanging over a shoulder if I'm not shooting with it, and I've never had a problem in 7

years. I wander all the outer boroughs too (except Staten Island...shudder). Just keep

you eyes open, which you should be doing anyway, if you are shooting. <p> Be

respectful of others, ask for permission if you can, and be careful either way, and you

and your Leica will be fine. Have a nice trip, and don't spend all your time in the

camera stores. Post some photos when you get home.

There are literally dozens of U.S. cities that are more dangerous than New York. You see people brandishing fancy cameras all over the place, and I can tell you from extensive experience that a Leica M is unlikely to attract attention from anyone but photo-nerds (which are a bit of a hazard here).

With respect to photographing people on the street, the same rules apply as anywhere else.

There certainly are tough slums, but the majority of the city is a safe place. Taking pictures on a drug dealers' street would be a bad idea. But 125th Street (main street of Harlem) is not a problem. But 10 blocks north, you might properly feel uncomfortable.

During the day, you are protected by the many eyes of NYC's busy streets. At night is when things get more interesting...

I agree that the Wu Tang Clan is great, but yes being from Brooklyn, I do think we can top that... I once read a statistic that 1/4 of all third generation Americans can trace their roots back to Brooklyn, so the list of important people from Brooklyn is huge... but seriously, I mean no offense with my SI joke... all in good fun, we're all part of one awesome city with limitless potential for amazing photographs.

SAM, I haven't been, but I've heard the Staten Island Zoo and the Staten Island Botanic Garden are worth checking out, though I'm not sure of their winter offerings.

Guys, thanks for the responses so far.

Hehe if being curious about your surroundings and getting some comments to plan for a trip is naive, then sure I like to be naive. :) I don't know your background, but from my experiences, I've learned to be a careful street photographer. It never hurts to ask, I say.

Sam,

I shoot with an M6 or M2 in NYC nearly every day and have never had a problem.

As others have said, you have to keep your wits about you just as you would anywhere else. Areas to avoid are those where there are few people (expecially after dark) and those that your common sense would tell you to avoid anyway.

Rich

"Hey, Staten Island produced the Wu-Tang Clan, can your home town top that?"

Because they're "Striaght from the Shalin slums" and "Wu-Tang Clang aignt nutin' ta f*

whit"!

I'm goign to NYC for the first time next week, although my young self isn't bringing my

Leica. I'm bringing my Ricoh GR digital (unforuntatley I couldn't get a hold of the wide

angle adapter though).

www.tristantownley.com

Sam, as a visitor, I've done my share of wandering NYC streets (and riding the subway to get around) armed with an M7 and a few lenses. I was carrying gear in a cloth Domke bag (which doesn't look too much like a camera bag to the uninitiated). Mostly Manhattan, SoHo, Chinatown, Brooklyn. Mostly days, but some early evenings as well (up to say 7 PM). Never had a problem, but Iメm pretty careful. Never shoved my camera in anyoneメs face, was always discreet and aware of my surroundings. Frankly, I would be more concerned carrying a bag with a laptop computer or a video camera. When I lived in Baltimore, I felt far more at risk there (or in certain areas of Washington, DC) than in NYC. I'm in Seattle now, so my NYC days are probably over---it's about the only thing I miss about the east coast.

Take the Leica. I agree with Beau. Within common sense bounds NYC is not dangerous as American cities go. Watch your neighborhood and your subjects. Tape over the red ball and where it says "Leica" and most people, as you well know, have no idea what's hanging around yr neck (or better, under yr coat).

Happy shooting.

One thing to add... no matter what anyone tells you, you ARE allowed to take photos on the subways... but please be aware that the subways are a strange place socially and people are more easily offended on the subways that they are on the street because of the close quarters (especially during rush hours), so avoid getting in peoples' faces there... your best bet in the subways is to shoot from the hip and look like you're doing something else. And if a Cop or an MTA employee tells you it's illegal to shoot on the subway, even though it's not, apologize humbly and put your camera way until they are out of your range... there has been a lot of confusion about the MTA photography ban which did NOT pass into law, and some of the police officers think it is a rule (which it is not). And if someone comes up to you on the subway who looks like a tough guy or a criminal and he tells you he's a cop, believe him because he probably is, even is he doesn't show you a badge right away!

Where are you from, Sam? From the way you spell "favorite," I'm going to guess somewhere not in the States.

As others have already pointed out, NYC is the safest big city in the U.S., & 1 of the safest in the world, right now, so you shouldn't be any more worried than you would be visiting London (which probably has a higher rate of personal & property crime than NYC nowadays), but a little more careful than you would in Toronto. In other words, I think you would have to go out of your way to find dangerous places to shoot (e.g., inside a gang-infested public housing project @ night). Per Gary Williams's post, many medium-sized cities like Baltimore & Washington, DC are far more dangerous statistically & even they are not difficult places to do street photography if you use common sense.

As far as covering the red dot on your Leica, I've yet to met anyone who's had their Leica specifically targeted by criminals (as oppposed to it being stolen because it's a camera).

Just put a sticker saying "film camera" on your Leica and you'll be safe from the thieves. NY is an amazing place to shoot street photographs. What I found out is that the high buildings cut out a lot of light and you may need to use a faster film than you are used to - especially at this time of year.

Sam:

As others have said, NY is generally a very safe city by American standards. If you take ordinary common sense precautions, you'll be fine. Here's a recent announcement about the FBI's latest crime statistics:

"Out of the 240 cities with a population of 100,000 or more that reported to the FBI, New York City now ranks 222 between Fontana, California and Port St. Lucie, Florida. Out of the nation's 10 and 25 largest cities, New York City ranked the safest with the fewest overall crimes on the total crime index."

The Hollywood "Escape from New York" stereotype of the city is long outdated.

My two words of caution to you are more practical. First, if you plan on coming to the city very soon, you should know that the transit workers union is threatening to go on strike as of this Friday, which would be a major inconvenience to anyone trying to get around New York. Second, Manhattan during December (especially midtown near Rockefeller Center) can get unbelievably crowded. If you're uncomfortable with the idea of getting jostled by crowds, wait for a more serene time to visit.

Hi Sam:

I used to work in NYC & also would go at night or on weekends to shoot.

In general you are going to be safe but a lot depends on time of day & locations.

If you want night shots then I suggest grabbing a cab & having them navigate you through the city & if you plan on walking then still get a quick tour from the cabbie along with the safe zones. Every city/town has areas that a tourist should not venture into. It's a big city & easy to wander off. Shooting from a cab will give you some good coverage. Consider checking with the cab driver before you embark & see if he or she seems tuned in & okay with your desire to be shooting. Although you can get in any cab for a fare some are way more communicative than others & you may want them to sometimes slow down/stop while you get out for a bit & wait for you, etc. . Best to give a decent partial tip before you even take off as they may be concerned that you are trying to duck a fare.

Most important is to act like you belong & not as a stargazed tourist - this is what clues people in on you. It's easy the first few times to be in awe of the city - great city.

Lastly - bring what you want to shoot with. Maybe keep the other system in your hotel room & travel light. If daytime there are a lot of places to get film & also check out B&H while you are there. I also started carrying my wallet in my front left pocket once I started working in the city & still do.

Good Luck & you will have a blast as it's like no other city I've ever been in. You will start planning your next trip before you get home:)