Vintage wedding cars...a creative challenge!

nicola inglis

"Cheesy" is a subjective measure- so I'm not sure what you mean, but I would shoot with

extreme closeups and wide angles. Shoot the front grill and headlight with enough wide

angle to show the couple in the car. Use all the levels you can- find a way to get up high

and shoot down on the couple in the car (if convertible), or get low and shoot car doors

swinging open. Sorry I don't have any cool examples to show you- but hopefullly you're

able to envision what I mean.

Nothing Cheesy about great old classic cars Nicola. Hudsons are very cool.

What's cheesy are mile long white limos with hot tubs in them.

Use wide lenses and stop down for lots of depth of field.

While you can't always control when you shoot, try to do a "Golden Hour" shot just after

sunset.<div>00E746-26395684.jpg.d1f8893730237851732bc6766b6c3bb8.jpg</div>

I have heard the term "cheesy" used a few times recently, and I have yet to really understand what it means.

I just take photos of whatever is presented to me. I don't go out of my way to contrive some insane pose or gimmicky photo.

So, what is a "cheesy" photo?

I think the cars will look great. I did some with the bride and groom on motorcycles.

Do what you client wants.

:-) I knew I'd get bagged for that comment. What I really mean is I'm trying to make a name for myself as being a bit different, how do I work around couple expectations that are based on what is already out there? They are hiring me to be creative, so I assume that means that they want to see shots that are a bit different but that they can't necessarily visualise exactly what that might look like. I suppose I'm a bit more cynical than the average bride and groom (just a bit?) and just because I think an idea is done to death doesn't mean they do. And nothing says I have to put the more contrived ones in my portfolio right?

I would say that your first responsibility is to cover their day and make sure that they look fabulous.....They may invite you to be creative but I doubt that is their primary concern. Make sure you shoot for them to put photos on their walls and your folio shots will follow. As they gain confidence in you and your ability, let them know that you're open to experimenting, wanting to do new/different and having fun..........you never know where you could end up.<div>00E7Aj-26397484.jpg.ea6c82d150df14fd4a5669b7786bd6b6.jpg</div>

You have to do what they want, whatever your portfolio expectations otherwise you get a good portfolio....and a reputation as a bad photographer. The trick is to do all the formal/traditional/cheese that they want, but also all your own stuff, then you can choose which pics to present to your future clients and in that way ensure your 'type' of weddings.

hmmm - The bathroom shot and car engine picture really don't belong here...

If you want to post images - please post images of cars with couples in order to really help Nicola with her question.

I believe she is asking for some interesting and uncontrived posing ideas for her shoot. Or a way to include the car in her shots that day.

Nicola. I support your attempt to do something different and non-traditional (aka cheesy to some). It is important to set yourself apart and do something creative.

There are many couples that prefer not to do the typical shots and there is nothing wrong with you developing a style that those couples will want.

I don't have examples I've scanned but I can tell you some of what I've done. I did a bride portrait (a fun bride is necessary here) that stood in the front of the car with one hand on the hood and the

other hand in the air with her flowers and a saucy, jubilant attitude of celebration. She was having a blast and it really showed.

Another - The couple looking out the back window - waving to guests...that was candid. Other candids - just get the couple

getting into and out of the car. Just tell the driver to be out

of the shot and let the groom help the bride out.

I'll never forget one day I was at the Jefferson Memorial. The driver, thinking he was helping, backed his car into an area of

the parking lot where the Jefferson Memorial was in the background. He informed me that this was "the" shot that all the photographers loved.

His intention was that I would shoot the couple with the car and the

Jefferson in the background. Yuk. Sorry - but to me - cheesy!

Furthermore, the couple had not hired me to do this type of shot. I whispered to them.. let's just do one so we don't embarass the driver as he'd gone through so much trouble. I took the shot. I then went to the side of the car and asked the couple to take a moment - hold each other, kiss and cuddle. I zoomed in close - vertical - No Jefferson in the background and only a pretty slice of the car. One of THOSE shots was the one that ended up in the album, ordered by the couple.

I LOVE shooting the B&G with a vintage car. I usually arrange to have the car beneath some trees in the shade and I shoot b&w 120 with the Hasselblad. They are almost always the favourites. Get some nice low and wide angles. Remember, cheesy is only in the eye of the beholder. I recently shot the B&G leaving in a flower decorated yellow jeep. They love their jeep!

Keep Smiling!

Gup.