Ideas for Christmas Photos?

sabrina_h.

Hello,

Last year I photographed a couple in the park for wedding announcement photos. This

time, they emailed me to ask about Christmas photographs. I must admit. I've never

photographed "Christmas photos" and have no idea what they should look like. They want

to shoot in October.

Should I ask them if they will have a tree set up for the shoot, or should I attempt this in

the studio with a backdrop of sorts. I've seen some holiday photos with "holiday

backgrounds" and I'm not particularly interested in that kind of shot--unless that is the

only way to go.

Got any tips?

I had a family that wanted snow in their Christmas picture, but there was no snow. So, I had them make snowflakes, which I scanned into the computer and added them to the photo. B&W with only Christmas colors added back is festive. Have them dress in wintery clothes (hats, sweaters), no matter how warm it is when you take the pictures.<div>00DeQK-25777484.jpg.91e1e72c2fee4160836737835d18c6be.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...
I usually don't like 'proppy' stuff, but I do admit to making an exception to that when I do holiday pics. I get my inspiration from the artwork in vintage holiday cards, especially Victorian ones. It's a matter of taste, though. This one of my personal favorites (not a studio shot, but done in my home). Some would probably find it too contrived, but it's my taste. :-)<div>00Dqmk-26054784.jpg.7fea4d6bc2fe8647d7a308fc3bde04cf.jpg</div>