er1

I have an image in my folder (located in my Model II section). Please

check it out. The image is of 7 models located in front of an old

piano. I am planning to create a similar image but I'm looking for

far more dramtic results. I am requesting the advise of photo.net

experts regarding lighting techniques that they would use to create an

extremely dramtic image of this group. All thoughts or comments

appreciated.

though i feel that i am not fully qualified to be giving advice to you, however i could suggest a couple of things.

compose to the format, so maybe use a 645, 6x7 or 6x9, and move in, fill the whole thing, and for drama, i would suggest that the models spill out of the frame, making their presence dominant, and overwealming. in my opinion cropping never works well, and i am of the Cartier-Bresson philosophy that the picture should be left as it was composed in camera.

i would also suggest slightly more contrasted lighting, possibly from one side, so as to create strong shadows... or possibly boxing in the sides and top, and lighting frontally to create a dark halo shadow.

though you may deem it futile and passe', cross-processing does make things more drammatic, by increasting contrast, changing colours, and eliminating some surface detail, thus smoothing skin. My current favourite is standard Kodachrome 200 (EB), though i believe EBB is considered one of the most reliable for skin tones.

i shall soon be uploading some of my recent work, so that you can see what kind of effects i have obtained, or i can email you something.

t+

Is the guitarist the key element or just part of the picture. If he is I would have him looking at the camera. I would also use a longer lens with a tighter shot. I agree with the above post on the lighting. One last thing I personaly dont like the backgroung but if you have nothing else then go with it.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ed first off what lighting are you using? you could combine strob with hot lighting and use a cinematic approach to lighting detail. I saw your Urban decay photo and see what you mean about giving it a bit more punch in specific areas. This is all fascinating stuff. But if you check a bit more in to film lighting techniques you may find a complimentary working condition and great results if you experiment with both. Keeping in mind colour temperatures etc.