How can I draw a thin black line around my B&W pix?

In Photoshop, there may be 3 or 4 ways to do anything. One easy way to draw a line around something is to convert a selection path into a stroke.

Select all (ctrl-a), which creates a selection border (marching ants) around the entire image. Then select Edit/Stroke. The dialogue box lets you set the border width (in pixels), color, strategy, etc.

<p>Yet another photoshop method:<br>

<ul>

<li>Select Image->Canvas Size

<li>Set Height and Width to 102%

<li>Set Canvas Extension colour to black

</ul>

<p>I like this method, because it makes a think black border regardless of image size, so it's useful as an action.

For 8-bit per color channel RGB or B&W files, free http://www.irfanview.com/ has an Image > Canvas command that also is in the Batch cmmands, so I can apply a certain pixel width black border, say, 2 pixels, to an entire batch of files preparing them for distribution, web display, printing, et cetera, along with every other possible manipulation, all in one batch command, including resizing, changing bit depth, sharpening, saturation, contrast, gamma, and so on.

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peteblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

<p><i>How do I "set the canvas extension color to black?" I forgot to mention that I'm using PS Elements 2.</p></i>

<p>It's in the "canvas size" dialogue box.</p>

<p>I also use the "canvas size" method, but I set the color that I want as the secondary color in my color pallate first and leave that option as "background" in the dialogue box.</p>

A pencil?

Or, in Photoshop, reduce your image size by a fraction of an inch or 10-20 pixels all the way around. Then have the background color in Black & make the canvas size the full size the print was before you reduced it. This will give you the surrounding line you are looking for.