Gandolfi 8x10

inge_ekstrom

Dear Inge,

Yes, it's a good buy -- and because Gandolfi is still in business, everything about it can be repaired/replaced/updated. Movements are modest but more than adequate for just about anything. The only real limitations will be if you want extreme movements for studio still lifes. I have even used a Gandolfi 10x8 for these...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com -- and take a look at the Photo School on that site).

The Gandolfi is as good in many ways as the Deardorffs. Both have excellent reputations and so many of the older ones are still in use. You won't go wrong with one other than the possibility that you and it "just don't get along'. That can happen with any camera and you don't know it until you have been working with it for a bit. If that happens, you sell it and get something else. But the chance to start with Gandolfi gear is not to be passed by.

Dear Daniel,

Without wishing to be unduly combative, where would you say the Deardorff was better? I've never owned Deardorffs, but I have handled friends' cameras, and I'd say the Gandolfi was better in every respect, especially fit, finish and rigidity. As I say, I don't want to start a fight over this but I would be interested in your views as I've never really understood the Deardorff mystique.

Cheers,

Roger

Re Gandolfi vs Deardorf. I tried a used Deardorf for a few days and although it seemed rugged and easy to use, it wasn't that rigid- probably due to a long life of use in the field. I had a new Gandolfi Traditional some years ago, and although I don't have it any more (having stupidly sold it), it was totally rigid, and relatively light (lighter than the Deardorf). If memory serves me, it was double extension, and the Deardorf is triple. There is a photo of it in one of Roger Hicks books. Also you can find a photo at the Gandolfi or Badger Graphics websites.

I just saw on PBS TV an art program which included a segment on Hiroshi Sugimoto, who uses 8x10 cameras. One scene showed him using a Deardorf - one that looked basically new!. It just got me to thinking that perhaps when new the Deardorfs were (or are, as I heard they are being made again) very rigid. Not a very brilliant thought on my part, but that Dorf sure looked beautiful, in the same league but different than that beautiful new Gandolif Traditional Precision I had years ago.

As a practical matter, if the Gandolfi from the 1950s has that new bellows, and is fairly rigid, the price seems really really good. A new Gandolfi Traditional now costs a fortune, in US $.

That's not a good buy - it's an exellent buy!

I sold my Technika III 5x7" and bought a Gandolfi Traditional instead. They are amazingly sturdy, reliable and precise - the only things I miss are front swing (can be added) and a bit more extension.

Pictures of my (black, 1950's) Gandolfi Traditional 5x7" are at http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras .

• 5 weeks later...