best GS1 Portrait lense

robbie_caswell

I recently bought a 200mm f/2 Nikkor and intended to sell my GS1

setup to help defray the cost. Since I can't give my GS1 away, I

thought I would utilize the beauty of the 6X7 format and add a

portrait lense.

I've currently only got a Zenzanon PG 65mm/f4 lense.

When I scour the net, how can I find out more about the ages/series

of lenses and what are the higher quality glass? Third party glass?

I aiming for either 150mm or 180mm, but would consider 250mm if

reccommended...

I liked the macro lens, 110mm it allowed for very tight framing of just the face. The other

ones don't allow you to get that close, the closest you can get is a head and shoulders.

Unless you are not into showing every skin blemish. The longer did allow to isolate the whole

subject from the background, by subject i mean from the waist up as long as ther is nothing

behind until about 5 feet.

Robbie,<br>

The 65mm is obviously too short, and I don't like portraits using wide angle lenses (like a 35mm in 135 format). As the 150mm is roughly equivalent to a 75mm, I consider it also too short for portraits.<br>

The 200mm corresponds to a 100mm in 135 format, and the 250mm to a 125mm. It seems to me that one of these two lenses might be a better choice.<br>

I have generally used the 150mm for most portraits, but in the past year started using the 200mm more frequently to get greater separation from the background. I find the adding an extension tube to either of these two allows very tight framing -- too tight for most purposes, in fact. Anything less than 150mm seems (to me) to result in an image that is not very flattering to the subject, unless it's an "environmental portrait," in which the surroundings are as important as the main subject.