Bad experience with Adorama in NY

joe_smith44

Just a heads up if you plan on purchasing from Adorama...I bought a

new lens, and they included an extended warranty with it. Only

problem is, the warranty was an additional $49.95!

When I tried to return the unordered warranty, they refused to take it

back.

Caveat Emptor

Well, considering that you just joined today, and used an alias, solely to post this,

without any additional information, I for one don't fully buy your story. Why not?

Because Adorama is one of a handful of photography-related stores which offer no-

questions-asked 14-day return guarantees of purchases.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?

op=faq&sid=11242888128092153#Our%20Return%20Policy

If you couldn't botther to call them within 2 weeks of your purchase, that's your own

fault.

Actually, I called them immediately. (Where did you get the silly 2 week idea???)

The salesman insisted I "needed" the warranty. He actually stated he had a recording where I ordered the extended warranty. Which of course, he couldn't have, because I didn't!

Caveat Emptor!

"Even Rolls-Royce turns out a lemon from time to time." I remind myself of this whenever learning of poor product or service quality from any manufacturer or vendor with a good reputation.

I had a different kind of bad experience with Adorama a couple of years ago. I needed to buy two lenses very quickly (the day before a last-minute trip out of town), and B&H was out of stock on one of them. So I called Adorama; they had both in stock, so I placed my order and requested overnight shipping. I *stressed* the need for overnight shipping, and the salesperson assured me I'd have the lenses in my hands by 10:30 the next morning (I placed my order plenty early in the day).

Next morning, 11:00 am, still no delivery. I called Adorama, and -- lo and behold -- my order hadn't shipped yet. The customer service rep confirmed the date and time of my order, that the two lenses I purchased were in stock, and that I had specified (and paid for) overnight shipping. But when I asked my my order didn't ship the day before, well ... they didn't have an answer.

I cancelled the order, and spent about four hours that day calling around to local camera shops, then driving to two different stores to buy the lenses I needed. Netting out price differences, sales tax and shipping costs, buying locally cost me about $100 more than the Adorama order total (about $1,450). Fortunately, it was a road trip, so no flight schedule to worry about; I just got out of town much later than planned.

Since that experience, I only buy from Adorama if I can't find something I want "anywhere else," which is rare.

"Joe" needed only to cancel his order within the 14-day period and return his order if he

felt he was being abused. The 14-day period for returns is listed in the link I provided

(which photo.net mangled somewhat) -- if his order was charged extra for something

he didn't want, within the 14 day period, he could and would have been able to return

it.

Yes, that's probably very good advice.

But Adorama has a different system - no matter who you ask for, they will connect you to the original salesman.

So I tried to also put it all in writing, copying their customer service department in the emails to the salesman.

That didn't work, either.

The way I look at, they may have stolen the $49.95 from me this time, but they'll never get another penny from me.

And I was a pretty good customer LOL

Against my own better judgement I bought a used camera from them sometime ago--my first purchase from them--sure enough it locked up after 10 frames. Rather than go through all the hassle with them I just sent the camera to my repair guy in Kansas--he fixed it all up and returned it quickly--it was worth the extra $100 it cost me not to have to fool with Adorama. After reading about several experiences people have had over the years I don't think I would buy anything by mail order from any NYC camera dealer at any time--just not worth the risk.

Adorama is a great place to buy new but a poor one to buy used gear -- I've written so

several times myself on photo.net over the years. The gear is rated haphazardly and the

prices are high, and you only get bargains if you view the items in store and deal in

person with a rep (who will always lower the price).

But this nonsense from a new account created today, using an alias, solely used to

smear an otherwise good store, telling a story about a product they *refused* to accept

back within the no-questions-asked return period -- it's someone trying to slime the

company.

I've bought lots of stuff from Adorama and from B&H over the years and have never had a bad experience. I've returned stuff to both too, and no problems. I've had good luck buying used from B&H, but have never tried Adorama for used. I'll still shop there because I've had good luck, but I'm sorry you had a bad experience, Joe.

I bought a used 553ELX from them in February and on the last day of their 100-day used warranty, the mirror pre-release stopped working. I called them and they had me send it to their Hassy repair vendor in NYC and I received it back in 10 days in full working condition, free of charge. Adorama has good deals on used items, but their rating system is haphazard and their order fulfillment is sometimes slow. Never a problem with a return. Unlike B&H, you don't need an RMA for returns.

They are occasionally rude, but more often they are direct and very busy, which some

people mistake as rude. And sometimes they're so busy you get voicemail. Call back.

But I've never heard of Adorama refusing to take back something withing the 2-week

return period.

Period.

Joe Smith, I hope you resolve this. And be sure to tell the story in the Neighbor to Neighbor section of photo.net. I can't see why they would refuse to rescind the warranty,maybe you can even talk the head of dept into a courtesy warranty for your trouble (idea?),-get your complaint in writing ASAP to a name- and certainly your credit card company can help you make an adjustment if you reach that stage.<p> I once returned a set of fairly expensive binoculars to B and H within the time frame and they still subtracted 30 bucks for no clear reason,(could have left out a pack of silica gel)but since I was pushing the time limit I just let it go. The mail order company that seems to have the most user friendly telephone customer service is J and R. Too bad they are not more into camera goodies than they are. Welcome to photo net forums. Aliases and cutesy names and newbies still have a say here they say. Someone said the ubiquitous Z is a pseudonym for a "Bailey". (Don't tell Robt. Novak or it will leak and get her in trouble):-). Be well, and cave canem. Arf. GS

If your letters get to the right party and you get no answer,there is always the New York Department of Consumer Affairs -or equivalent agency-to contact. You are entitled to a response to a written complaint, and I hope you don't give up,gum em to death if necessary... I won't impugn your statement as has Bailey/Z so offhandedly.<p> Adorama has a cumulative track record that is huge. Over time,Adorama seems to be less sleaseball locales for mail order. Odds are still in your favor of compensation on this issue. And no reason to give anybody a quote second chance,either,up to you. If they dropped it,it is your call. Calumet in Chicago is a busy little outfit. Some are good,and get less good... Good luck. I also get tired of the extra warranty push-push, gravy for salespeople and the insurance cartel.

"<i>But this nonsense from a new account created today, using an alias, solely used to smear an otherwise good store, telling a story about a product they *refused* to accept back within the no-questions-asked return period -- it's someone trying to slime the company.</i>"

<p>

What are you - some sort of Adorama stooge?<br>

This is consistent with my own (bad) experiences with "Scamorama". If any store deserves to be slimed, it's Adorama.

Adorama is one of the better, even best, of the USA mailorder houses. No one is

perfect, but I don't believe someone who pops up here under an alias and whose only

postings are ridiculous claims contrary to my and most peoples' with the company.

They've got a 14-day return policy. He's claiming he couldn't get through to customer

service and was not allowed to return anything. That's bull. And if anyone's a stooge it's

someone willing to believe 'Smith's' nonsense.

Now we know that the fictitious 'Smith' is losing it. Anyone who's seen my writing on

photo.net since 1999 knows I'm not a photo store employee.

However, since Smitty thinks I've somehow proved myself an employee of Adorama's,

perhaps he believes I have proof that he's not using his real name, which a real

Adorama employee might... and thus proving that his clai to be using his name was

(also?) a fraud.

Or perhaps he's just extremely paranoid.

Smith: give us the order number and I bet somebody here will check it for you. It would

be interesting to see what the truth is instead of rantings.

There's another expression: speak for yourself. So if you want to call yourself retarded,

fine. I'll just call you paranoid.

Nice to see you tapdance away from providing that info which could prove your case. I

hope everyone sees that, "Joe."