...AND BABY MAKES THREE!

al_kaplan1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makin that last run for it an all those "clients" are emptying their pockets for those pics aren't

they preacherpop? All about you baby. I guess it's a mystery why all the "scum" just don't

get it huh? You must be scratchin a crater through your head on that one.

Al, I like you a lot with one exeption: you are the master of shameless self promotion. Your pics are like everyone elses here. IMHO none of the pics I have seen from you is worth framing and that includes your vintage pics. I think that your best shot I've seen is one picture of a bride on stairs or sumthing. The fact that you give peop,e a link to a discussion thread should not give you a break from opinions. It is a bad choice on your part. Put them in your workspace, disallow rating and send the link to your bamboozled customers.

If we don't promote ourselves, who will...really. What the hell do you think a website is for?

Al,

You should mention the business you got today at the Parks and Rec business breakfast. While we're all here yapping at each other, you're out there making money. Personal contacts, city involvement, being outgoing and pleasant, and doing good work pays off.

Michael, watch out! My puppy is named Dude...sic 'em Dude! (^O^)

No need to be obnoxious guys. Come one. So, you don't like Al's photos? You are

entitled to your opinion. I can tell you this - Al could care less whether you like his

photos. The more obnoxious your comments are, the more the joke is on you.

Al is a great guy and a great photographer. Natalie and I are happy to call him a friend. I

don't think the 15mm series is Al's best work, but then again, probably neither does he. I

have seen alot of his work at his home, and his work is outstanding. He was one of the

two photographers at our wedding, the other being Marc Williams.

Edmo, I really like most of your work, but if you criticize Al for his postings, perhaps you

can post something more than dark, moody, blurry photographs on the S&D forum.

Renee, I can't recall your work, but I am positive you posted something in the past that I

saw. Eric, I like your stuff as well, and even sent you an email many moons ago telling you

so. The idea is to post photos and take the hits like an adult, not like a petulant 5 year

old.

I used to post photos periodically, but now that I am married and have a baby and a 4.5

year old, my time is not my own. I am having too much fun with my wife and boys to

worry about posting photos at this time.

...and I'll bet Al is having on hellofagoodtime doing those self portraits! I no longer have any Leicas but I've got a humdinger of a fine OM-1, and I'm trying to find at least a 28mm lens to do some creative film b/w of what's happening around town without having to focus much.

It's better than sitting at home blasting each other on the forums!

I like Al and he knows it. Perhaps I was a little too candid but my point was not that his photos are total rubbish. My beef is with the cult of personality. I can't help but feel being duped by some of the statements attempting to elevate Al's work into something that it isn't. It's only my opinion. I can't speak for anyone else.

<i>My beef is with the cult of personality.</i><p>That's half of

what makes art these days. People are always interested in the

artist, and if the artist is abnormal or eccentric, all the better. Al's

not the only one on this thread playing it. Ultimately there has to

be some substance to the work though, or it's just flavor of the

month.

Take away the egotism and there's nothing left. Pictures of people's own lives (even

mundane lives) always interest me, and that includes Al's. If people like the concept of

self-documentation they should take a look at the work of <a href="http://

www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/FramerT_MAG.aspx?

Stat=Portfolio_DocThumb&V=CDocT&E=2TYRYDAEYHMT&DT=ALB">Antoine D'Agata</

a>

One of them went to Georgetown University, became a Rhodes Scholar, then went to Oxford University and Yale, then became Attorney General of Arkansas, Governor of Arkansas then President of the United States...

...and the other strokes his ego by snapping a few pics of himself with a 17mm?