appreciated... The cameras offered will range from 4x5 all the way up

to 20x24 and maybe even some special orders if there is a need or a

call for it.... I know some companies already exist but seems to me

that they over charge and also dont have a good customer

relationship... well that is all hopefully i can get some great

feedback this is only for research for a friend... Thanks for your

time...

Ted,

In principle, I think there's always a market for ANY commodity if it's well-built at a very

reasonable price-point. As you know already, there are a good number of companies out

there doing this. Wisner is one and Canham is another. There's also another very recent

entry into the market offering a camera made of composite materials. (Sorry, I can't seem

to recall the fellow's name but he appears on the LF photography forums every so often.)

As with ANY business venture I think it's absolutely critical that you do your research into

exactly "WHAT" the market wants... in other words, what the end users perceive to be

missing from the marketplace at present. Talk to other shooters, ask questions... do focus

groups to find out wants, needs, and desires! It's only after you "know" the marketplace

that you should take the next step forward.

Secondly, you'll need to determine exactly what people are willing to pay in order for you

to provide this commodity. After all, if you build the "perfect camera" but have no buyers,

then your company won't last too long. A cost-benefits analysis is a must, must, must...

Thirdly, take a look at the companies (and their products) in the market at present and

determine/ascertain what it is that they're doing right (and, conversely, what they're doing

wrong.) Learn from them and adjust your strategies to take advantage of the benefits and

avoid the pitfalls. Again, ask questions by the boatload in order to gain insight into how

things are done and how things aren't done!

There's going to be a thousand and one questions for you to ponder... it's definitely not an

easy process but if you hope to succeed there's going to be the need for a LOT of question

and answer periods. Finally, because you may have the correct answers at a certain point

in time, keep in mind that this must also be modified as often as required in order to

adequately satisfy the marketplace's needs and wants.

You made the following comment:

"I know some companies already exist but seems to me that they over charge and also

dont have a good customer relationship..."

It's a GREAT place to start...

Good luck in the venture Ted...

Cheers

There are quite a few manufacturers of LF cameras for what is a small market. With the exception of one, they seem to have good to excellent reputations for customer relations. It's easy to say that lower prices would be nice, but will your friend be able to make a complicated and precise product with a lot of parts at a lower price? In formats like 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10, production can be done in small lots with some economy of scale. At least one manufacturer is already using CNC machining. With formats like 20x24 it will probably be one-off, or close to it.

I suggest making a series of protoypes to refine the design and determine production cost, then deciding whether to enter the business. The criteria people seem to want are: low weight, range of focal lengths, movements and rigidity.

Canham, Wisner, Ebony, Lotus, Phillips, Gandolfi . . . . it is being done more or less successfully. Wisner does layaways, Phillips doesn't take payment until delivery. I think you will find most of these companies have an excellent customer relationship, and their prices are fairly reasonable for a hand made low volume product. Craftsmanship is expensive, particularly in the developed world. The Chinese are coming in with more affordable cameras these days, and though perfectly well made and good performers are not to be confused with an Ebony.

There's a fellow named Jim Chinn over on the apug.org site who is just beginning to do this. There's definitely a market, but it seems like quite a process to design, build, test, re-design, re-build, re-test, etc until you get a GOOD working solution. I think it's more of a passion than a profession.

With Wisner going out of business you might do OK. Canham makes some of the finest around and his sense of honest business practices garner him more clients all the time. Philips is excellent and honest as the day is long.

There is definately room to replace the guy who is closing down.

• 8 months later...

I used Canham8x10, Wisner12x20, Phillips8x10 and 11x14 ULF camera,but I using

Chamonix 8x10 and 12x20 camera now,because I think the Chamonix view-camera is the

lightest and very cheap.Chamonix view-camera is made of China,they are have

4x10,5x8,8x10,7x17,14x17,8x20,12x20(6.5kgs),16x20,20x24(only no more 10kgs).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...