Canon Raw format and OSX

potok

I used to shot all my pictures in large size, but now switched to raw.

The problem is i like to keep them all in my powerbook, and i dont

know do i need to import both types of files recorded, CRW and THM or

only one. Does anyone know is there simple software like ACDSee for

OSX that will let me preview whole directory of images without

importing them into iPhoto, and making one more copy on my HD. Can

Photoshop CS prewiev cards from CF directly?

The simplest, and cheapest, solution are the ones that came with your camera: EOS Viewer

Utility and Digital Photo Professional. Either one allows you to view thumbnails from the CF

card or your harddrive. Of course you may click on any thumbnail for larger viewing and/

or processing to TIFF or JPEG.

CRW is the main image file. I believe the THM are merely for camera LCD display. In any

event, you may toss the THM files if you drag 'n drop to your HD.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<<Does anyone know is there simple software like ACDSee for OSX that will let me

preview whole directory of images without importing them into iPhoto, and making one

more copy on my HD.>>

There is Graphic Converter by Thorsten Lemke <http://www.lemkesoft.com/>. It's

something like $30, but it has folder browsing capability, as well as importing from

cameras and basic image-editing capabilities. It's worth every penny of its price. I highly

recommend it.

Photoshop also has a file browsing utility, as does, I believe, Photoshop Elements. As

others have mentioned, Canon's own software has the ability to browse folders, but I find

it a bit slow. Graphic Converter is the fastest app I've found. It can also handle CRW files,

but I prefer other options for converting.

If you want something a bit more professionally oriented, there's FileView Media and

FileView Media Pro. They are more cataloging applications, but they don't import images

into a database like iPhoto, but leave your files where you put them, including on CD or

DVDs. The non-pro version is something like $50, but the pro version is, I think, $150.

However, if you deal with CRW files a lot, the non-pro version doesn't do them, while the

pro version does.

-Jon

Yeah, Graphic Converter is a gem of a program. I love the slide show feature and browser.

It can convert RAW files but lacks parameter controls--the main reason to use RAW--so

you'd need to use DPP, EVU, PSCS, etc. if you're shooting RAW.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Photo Mechanic from <a href="http://www.camerabits.com/">Camera Bits</a> is perhaps

the best software to do this sort of thing on the Mac.

<p>It's primarily designed for Photojournalists and supports RAW formats from most

(perhaps all) DSLRs. I has all sorts of nifty features like automatically importing and renaming

files and putting them in various locations (like sorted by date). It also has extensive

captioning. Supports DNG, too.

I was searching for a similar application a year or so back. At the time iPhoto didn't even

support RAW files, which made finding a good viewer even more important. A second

criteria was that I didn't wish to spend much money.

The one I picked was QPict (http://www.qpict.net/). Note that QPict acts solely as a viewer

but doesn't supply any sophisticated image conversion facilities. It supports Canon RAW

files (CRW) and thumbnails (THM). I use it in conjunction with my Canon Digital Rebel.

You can drag a directory into the application, and it will generate thumbnails of the photos

within onscreen for perusing.