Third Party Flash for EOS 3

Last I heard, the Metz would not cooperate with Canon wireless E-TTL system. Unless that's been changed, you would need two Metz units together to do wireless, and the ST-E2 would be worthless.

The Sigma EF-500 Super (DG or not) will act as a slave or master to the 550EX. Robert would have had to use the Sigma as the master since the 420EX will only act as a slave. Of course if he had an ST-E2, both flashes would be slaves.

Personally, since you already have a 550EX & ST-E2, I would get a 420EX to act as a second slave. It's only marginally less powerful, and sets up so much easier than the Sigma. That was my only complaint with the Sigma -- it's menu system is so much different/difficult than Canon's. If you already had a Sigma Super, I would recommend sticking with them just for consistency, but you don't, so save a few bucks and get the small Canon.

Of course, if money grows on trees around your place, sell the 550EX and buy two 580EX units. They are nicer.

Yeah, the 420EX does not have manual control. That's most of what separates it from the 550EX. That and a high voltage power port, E-TTL wireless mastering, more power...

So you're back to choosing a Sigma Super or a Canon 550EX/58EX. The 580EX has a nicer user interface, faster recycling, and a few other small small items, along with being a bit smaller. It's clearly superior to the 550EX, but in minor ways, and costs are considerably higher too.

If you're wanting the lower cost option, I think I would rather get a used 550EX than a Sigma though. Not that the Sigma is a bad flash, because it isn't. But the user interface is less than desirable for using multiple wireless units, especailly when one of the other units is a Canon Speedlite. The price of used 550EX's has dropped considerably since the introduction of the 580EX.