w/nw - photos that could get you in trouble in the USA

Sanford

"People seen taking photos of things not of interest to the general

public" are now considered suspecious here. Very tough on us West

Coast door knob photographers (this one in a harbor area). I once had

a class asignment to photograph the Moss Landing power plant. I

wouldn't even drive by the place with my camera out of the bag now.<div>00Cuox-24725884.jpg.ad7ec0d240a900594aa110643917886a.jpg</div>

Ups, come to think of it, most americans are allowed to travel to Cuba, only only one country in northern america has an embargo on Cuba.

I've been told that this is the reason why Pepsi and Coca Cola in Cuba come from Mexico and Brazil. Rice and chickenwings are imported directly from the USA to Cuba and if you realy want to travel to Cuba from the USA, make a stop in Mexico first. Everything is possible, as long as you don't live in Cuba :-)

"Americans are forbidden to travel to Cuba ;-("

I remeber several friends going there a couple years ago, there was a loophole that allowed people to go for "educational purposes" or something like that, and tours were set up under that pretext. I'm not sure if both of that option is still open, but bottom-line, the Cuban tourist embargo as of a couple years ago was only for American's who didn't have the five grand or so it cost to get in on one of those tours.

I believe it is not illegal for a U.S. citizen to TRAVEL to Cuba; it is illegal it SPEND MONEY there. Most U.S. citizens that go there travel to Mexico, fly to Cuba, return to Mexico and bribe the officials into not putting an entry stamp from Cuba in their passports

(same in Cuba) so that it looks as though their stay was in Mexico.

What a waste! The time when the embargo was necessary has long passed.

I would love to go...

Regards,

Frank M.

Oh, and Jay, the reason they don't patrol the borders or deport illegal immigrants is because

the agriculture and business communities would be completely screwed without cheap

illegal labor. Been to a restaurant lately? Peek in the back, and it's all south-of-the-border

illegals. Same with farming. Who do you think picks all the delicious produce at the grocery

store? Whoever they are, Spanish is their first language.

Restrictions on Cuba travel can be found <a href="http://www.usacubatravel.com/restriction.htm">here.</a> I quite stupidly spent a week in Merida about five years ago without realizing that Cuba was a 20 minute flight and that a day trip was very easy. Now, it's much more difficult to go, or at least to come back to the US.

Michael he probably read Pedro Juan Gutierres Dirty Havana Trilogie or even worse El Rey de Havana.

After reading those books, my mother decided never to go there as well :-)

Actualy it is not that bad, especialy in the tourist places like Isla de Juventud or Varadero. I stayed at a private house when I visited a friend who studied for one semester in Matanzas. She went to Argentina afterwards and her first mail from Buenos Aires read something like "I spent a whole day in a mal and bought useless things like face cream".

I met some very nice people there but to be honest, I see no reason to visit Cuba again.

Ruins don't have any charme in my eyes and the next overseas journey will be to Salvador de Bahia in Brazil.

To the carnaval of cause :-)

There is no logic. Strictly speaking, taking bribes is illegal, but it's OK for our politicians in

Washington to take political contributions in exchange for favors once elected. Hell, many

of our most embarrassing prostitutes like Hollings, R-AK, will introduce anything Disney

pushes across his desk.