the Canon 20D wich does what? Is one better than the other, what

metering mode would you use on shooting the Sonoma Grand Prix? I

will be using the Canon 20D + Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and 2X Extender. I

will be there from Aug.26-Aug.28, planning on shooting Tv Mode and

panning. Also what shutter speed would you start off in 1/250 or

1/500, I want the cars sharp and the packground blurry. Guess I

could get by on using a monopod, and hope it will be a nice bright

sunny day.

Bring a laptop and get there early. Get some practice photos in while the cars are doing their practice runs. Try different shutter speeds at different parts of the track and at various focal lengths and see how they look on the computer. Shoot the practice shots in JPEG mode so you can preview them quickly.

By the time the race starts you should have a pretty good idea of what will give you the results you want.

>>I want the cars sharp and the packground blurry.<<

The shutter speeds depends on the velocity of the cars at the point in which you plan to shoot *and* your ability to pan the lens following the car.

If you set yourself up near a chicane or slower turn then, it will be easier for you to pan (follow) the car. If you match the speed of the car with your lens you can use shutter speeds as slow as 1/60s (if the car doesn't go too fast -like over 70mph or so) ***with practice***.

In other words, the car speed, shutter speed and your ability to follow the car all come together to achieve the result you want (sharp car, blurred background). It's a technique that requires "feel" and of course, practice.

If you are on an high velocity straightways it will be much more difficult. So, plan your shooting spot(s) accordingly.

I usually use partial metering in M mode. Meter off a medium tone in the same light

and bang away. Subsequently you don't have to worry about exposure going nuts in

Evaluative everytime the camera twitches. By the way, I'm a professional musician!

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Like others have said, I'd take a few readings now and again, and the set the exposure in manual mode. I'd probably also pick a spot on the track and focus on it, then switch the lens to manual focus. I'd follow the car and the hit the button as it comes to the spot I've focused on.

Not that I'm any expert on motor sports.