To all Nikon photographers in Chile

martin_altmann

Please, if someone offers you a Nikon D70 on a fleamarket in Santiago

(for example Bio Bio market), especially if it has a 24 mm f2.8 Nikon

prime on it, inform the police, it is stolen (is mine) - don't buy it,

you're commiting a felony. If in doubt, chack the serial number, mine

is: 315757 . If anybody (highly unlikely I know) gets any hint about

such a camera (which is very unusual in Chile, since it cost like

US$2000 and up), please inform me or the police.

To all tourists in Chile (and elsewhere): be extra careful near

Estacion Central, even in the adacent restaurants (I was sitting in

ths "Schop Dog" there).

So here's my lecture so that this does not happen to more of you. For me this is a huge loss, since I'm currently recieving a Chilean wage, which is not so terribly high. The area where this happened was near Estacion Central, where they have a train station and several bus station, i.e. it is a place to be watchful. I was there with a friend, and we bought bus tickets and since we had several hours to spend before departure of the bus we decided to have dinner, maybe afterwards go to a cinema.

In this Schop Dog, which is a fast food restaurant, but with much better quality than e.g. McD, next doors. We were seated on a table near a half flight of stairs, separated by a wall and some brass rails from the adjacend table on the lower floor (that's where the thief was sitting). The man who later stole my camera was an annoying type he tried to involve us in conversation. Well this lasted more than 30 minutes, so at that time I did not consider the guy to be a threat; we were actually preparing to leave (another 10 seconds, and i would have had my camera around my neck and nothing would have happened) He all of a sudden grabbed the camera and was gone, I purused him but it is unbelievable how fast they are. I wish this guy a painful death, sorry I know that is not what one should do, but I'm human too and have my faults. People like this not only rob things from people, they also rob faith in others - I was always careful, now I'm probably going to be more careful (e.g. never eat or sit and have coffees in busy areas) finally it's going to end up in paranoya - like most people (There are so many things I would like to see while in South America, like macchu pichu - i'm (even before yesterday) not going there, because I know it's unsafe). These people destroy society. And I don't think it is really a poverty issue, the really poor don't steal.

BTW. in this case harm's done, but I would like to hear, how other photo.net members

Sorry, last posting was incomplete.

...I would like to hear how other photo.net members insure their equipment. I mean in comparison of what could have happened this was moderate. Imagen I would have had a D2X, or a full frame Canon model, and a really expensive Nikon or Canon L glass. Fortunately my Tokina 12-24 and my Nikon zoom where not affected. Is there any insurance that is viable (meaning that it is not as exspensive as having the stuff stolen in the first place)?

<p>If you are shooting, <b>always</b> have a physical attachment to your camera. Neck strap at the least; I prefer having it in my hand with the strap rolled around my wrist.

<p>If you are not shooting, take the camera <b>out of view</b>.

<p>Don't use a camera bag, nor a Tamrac/Lowe/whatever backpack. They yell camera at a distance. Use a common one.

<p> In cramped situations (subterranean, celebrations, multitudes rioting, whatever), <b>take off your backpack from your back</b> and put it to your front side. I've caught thiefs trying to open my backpack on the sly when I'm immobile in those situations. One of these idiots dropped my 20mm f/4 nikkor when I grabbed him by the neck.

<p> Be aware of your surroundings, even when you are shooting. In your case, I wouldn't have let the thief bother you for 30 mins! Call the manager, leave, whatever!

I can not speak to Chilean insurance, but my cameras are covered under our homeowner's policy (in USA) up to a total of a percentage of all our effects. I did not have to schedule it separately under a rider, such as jewelry. Worth a look, if your have such a policy. I had a Nikon F2 stolen similarly thirty years ago, under my parent's homeowner's policy and got full recovery.

I called my insurance company a few years ago to make sure I was covered and I was.