F100, SB-28, at 2.8, 400 iso film

jim_occi2

Greetings All-

My daughter is getting married today and I am to photograph she and

all of the bridesmaids (I am not the pro doing the wedding). My

problem is a distracting background for the shoot.

Will I get a proper exposure if I shoot wide open (2.8) with a D-

lens, the F100 on aperture priority and my SB-28 at -1.7? (I'm a

manual camera person and still getting used to the F100 system).

Oh yeah, it's 400 speed film shooting in the shade.

Thanks in advance-

Jim Occi

I'm no expert, but I think the combination you have will detect that it's being used as fill flash and the -1.7 compensation on the flash should not be necessary.

I'm not sure what the maximum sync speed is for the F100, but you may hit it shooting 2.8 with 400 speed film.

I may be too late to respond... but if you plan on shooting everything at f2.8, you stand a pretty good chance of having anything involving two or more people in the shot come out with someone out of focus. Much depends on the lens you are using. Go to f4 or f5.6 for couples, and fill the frame with your subjects (leave enough crop room fro 5X7 or 8X10 prints, though). This will give you a bit more variety and sharper images.

Film is cheap. Bracket your shots. If the camera sync-speed goes to 1/250th out doors, the f-stop (if your really need f2.8) would have to be set with the camera in 'M' mode. Any chance you can take a practice shot or two before the wedding? Take notes and see what works best. [Out-doors film = ISO 100; In-doors film = ISO 400.]

Oh, and bracket your shots on the wedding day. If you shoot just one frame and that person blinks -- you have no image that is good to use.

I would like to thank you all for your suggestions. Since there is already 400 film loaded in the camera I may have to shoot at a smaller aperture. Moreover since I'm the father of the bride I will not be able to incorporate many of your excellent suggestions due to the logistical nightmare and complete chaos that exists in this household.

Thanks

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
This is probably going to come way after the weddding, and maybe way after the honeymoon as well, but I thought I'd throw my two bits in. My experience shooting people is that they have a tendency to move when you least expect is and usually (Murphys Law) just as you take the shot. One advantage you have with the F100 is that you can up it to 1/8000 shutter if you have to. I'd concentrate on shutter speed, say at least 1/800 or so (depending on the lens), let the camera decide the aperture based on available light and if it opens it up too much set the shutter even higher. I'd use C mode and fire bursts -- the guy above talking about a blink was correct.