Using 10D with manual flash units

jan_thomas1

I was given an old (but new in box, barely used) flash unit. Its a

Miranda 700CD. These can be found for about £10-20.

I tried it on the 10D, and everytime I fire the shutter I get an error

99, the flash doesnt fire, and an image doesnt get written to the CF

card. I have tried:

<BR><BR>

Putting it in Canon mode (probably the older canon a-series mode).<BR>

Putting it in non-dedicated mode.<BR>

Taping up the extra contacts in the hotshoe other than the centre pin.<BR>

<BR>

You are probably asking why I even bothered, and I'm thinking the

same. .. except that its got to be better than the built in flash, and

I cant afford a 420EX this month (I just paid for a Tokina 12-24 f/4).

<BR><BR>

My question is: Do flash units in manual mode generally work on the

10D, or do they HAVE to be E-TTL?

<BR><BR>

thanks.

First of all, I'd check the voltage of the flash. Second, it sounds like you have a polarity reversal on the flash. There have many threads regarding the voltage issues, that is what I would worry about most. Most newer(lower voltage) manual flashes should work with this camera, but you won't be able to use any in camera flash metering. A flash meter might be your next investment.

If it doesn't work in S mode then I wouldn't mess with it. Waste of time, and if the flash

unit's trigger voltage is higher than 6 volts then you can permanently damage the camera.

You can use non-E-TTL flash units, but they have to be either manual metering (you must

meter yourself with a flash meter) or autoflash (self-metering flash units which do not rely

on data from the camera).

Jan,

As already mentioned, the trigger voltage and polarity are very important factors when using non-Canon flashes. The tech at Canon Canada told me that 6 VDC is the absolute maximum trigger voltage for flashes used with the 10D whether mounted on the shoe or using the PC socket. He suggested that a maximum of 5 VDC is probably the safest trigger voltage to use.

This link <a href="http://www.botzilla.com/photo/G1strobe.html" >Secrets of Powershot Flash Photography</a> has some useful information on the subject. Your Miranda 700CD is not included in the list but some other models are.

>>Do flash units in manual mode generally work on the 10D<<

Yes, they do! You will need a flash meter and the camera will be set to *M*, not Av, not Tv, not P, etc...

You can get a WEIN safe sync to protect the camera from HIGH voltage. Also, if your unit has a PC connector you can use the flah off camera via a PC cord.

• 2 years later...
I know this post is a little old and I would presume by now you have sorted out your flash problems. However for the interest of others who might read the post the Miranda 700 CD Multi-Dedicated flashgun actually has a trigger voltage closer to 6.99 - 7 volts. This WILL damage any Canon and more modern digital cameras. If you have one of these or are tempted to buy one off ebay best off scraping it or using it with a slave trigger for fillin or background light.

• 1 month later...
I use a miranda 500cd and a cobra auto 250 with the EOS 350D without problems. The voltage issues I think is a trick of the companies because they have to sell the newer flashes. The polarity issue is the most important. If the polarity is opposite is possible to destroy the camera or the flash or both of them. The voltage issue is a problem if you use flash-guns of the 60s and 70s or early 80s. All the others that were made after 87, I think they can be used in manual mode. I have the opinion from my knowledge of electronics that the tolerance of the circuits today can handle high voltages if these voltages are applied for short time intervals. A flash triggering voltage lasts about a few milliseconds (1 to 6 msecs) so I have the opinion that it won't be dangerous.