US to UK lens purchase

davebell

Hi all, Anybody got an idea, maybe from 1st hand experience, how much

Duty / VAT is charged when purchasing an item from the USA, to be

delivered into the UK? Due to the massive 70-200mm F4 L lens shortage

in Europe, I am considering purchasing one from BH. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Dave

You will pay full UK VAT no matter what, and that is on top of any shipping and handling

fee as well.

<br><br>

According to the PDF (weirdly) linked from <a href="http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/

channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?

_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009989&propertyTyp

e=document">this page</a> you don't pay import duty on digital cameras (which is my

recollection, having bought this way) but you do pay 6.7% on lenses.

VAT and duty are paid on the price including shipping and insurance - so importing becomes more worthwhile for more expensive items and multiple purchases. It's usually not worth considering importing very recent additions to Canon's lens ranges, or Sigma or Tamron lenses (some of these can work out cheaper in the UK). Sadly 7dayshop is no longer offering Canon lenses - they used to be offered at prices that were about equivalent to B&H + shipping and taxes - so UKP 399 for a 70-200 f/4, for instance.

You could buy online from B&H, ship it to New Jersey (where my girlfriend's parents, ever so conveniently, live and which has a much lower sales tax than the combined NY + NYC), and then carry just the lens home (minus instructions, warranty card, etc.) on the plane. Not that I've done this, you realise, but it seems to work pretty well from what I've heard.

I'm actually rather confused about what UK customs *does* these days -- I assume they're all off fighting drug smugglers on boats or something, because they sure aren't checking people passing through Heathrow. I've seen entire caravans of luggage (with Sherpas) pass through without anyone even being there to give it a second glance. Certainly, if I were looking to make easy money for the government I'd have someone meeting every plane from New York and searching for new iPods on which to charge VAT. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Anyway, to get back to David's question -- you'll get hit for VAT and various other fees that will add, as has already been said, about 25% to the cost of your purchase. If it still makes economic sense after that, then by all means go ahead. The US dollar is sliding again and the economics of shipping from the US have gotten better after a few months where the pound flirted with $1.60 or so and the Apple Store UK was briefly the same price as the Apple Store Soho (NYC).

jon