make myself legal. I was told I would need a license in NC. I am not

sure who to call to find out though. Does anyone know what legal

action I need to take to get everything right with starting my

business. I do not have a studio, and it will be a while before I

get one.

All info you could give would be great.

Thanks

T

If you live in a municipality call the city or town clerk's office. Otherwise call the county clerk's office. You probably also need to register with the state to collect sales tax but the local clerk's office can give you all the info you need. Another possibility is ask at your local Chamber of Commerce, but you'll still end up visiting the clerk's office at some point.

If you're mostly freelance shooting for other (licensed) studios, or stringing for a local paper or magazine, in most jurisdictions you'll kind of be in a grey area where not having your own license may be acceptable or at least tolerated.

I was (once upon a time in the U.S. Air Force) stationed in North Carolina __ as a non-resident, I understood then "why" the Colonies broke away from the English tax structure, but modern North Carolina seems to have kept some of the 'crappy' tax laws. The State of North Carolina should have a web site and information on how to register a business. You also (probably) need to inquire how to obtain a sales tax permint, so you can collect and pay sales tax on your album packages. And, like any good business person, you will need a business bank account (checking or savings,) so you can ante up a bit of your spare change to the I.R.S. on a quarterly basis in 2006, if you have filed as a business in 2005.

Isn't photography fun now?

I lerarned that my state (Nevada) does not require a business license for a business being run out of your home and earning less than half the state's average annual income. So I don't have a license (being a 'weekend warrior, so to speak, my annual profit is low), but I must still must follow the appropriate tax laws for all my income and business transactions. You'll have to check the specific statutes for your state - they vary greatly from state to state. Good luck!

Tammy, I do know that you need to obtain a Privilege License to be a photographer in North Carolina but my understanding about a business license (and I could be wrong) is that you only need to obtain that if you have a studio. I'm still doing reshearch on the business license issue because I don't have a studio myself. I did go ahead and obtain the privilege license. Here are a few links to help you out.

http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/Documents/rod_BUAN.pdf

http://www.dor.state.nc.us/downloads/B202A.pdf