CD cover portrait session

I was just asked to do a portrait session for a CD. Its for a guy and a girl and the album is

"The best of Vietnamese Country Music 1"... kinda interesting to say the least!!! I would

absolutely love to do this, but have never done anything like this before. Normally I shoot

weddings and family/engagements. First off... how and what do I charge?? Second... well I

don't know really whats second, but I am sure there something that you should be telling me

about!! I have to get back to her within a day so any help is much appreciated!

I would charge based on your time and materials (film and processing). I would also sell only the rights to use the photos for a single CD title and nothing else. So if they want to use the photos on another CD or for some other purpose, you get paid extra.

Write a contract that includes license for use on the CD cover (name the CD and artist) for one release only, that the rights do not transfer (in case the musicians are transfered to different management) that you retain copyight and requires that you receive a photo credit on the CD that includes contact information (I publish my photo credit as "photo: twmeyer.com"). Also note in the contract that if the photo credit is not easily visible on the CD's printed insert credit section, that your fee will be tripled. Oh yeah, actually <i>get</i> a signed copy of the contract :^)... t

Keep an eye on the composition. CD covers are SQUARE and 120 x 120mm this makes a big difference in setting up the shot with any format (film or digital) that does not produce a square output.

Also consider how any text may be laid up on the image. Composing then requires that some "space" (a non-critical part of the image) be left for that. It might be OK, and usualy is, to carry text over part of the body of the subject but not OK, and usually is not, to have a situation where text encroaches on the face of the subject.

When in doubt do NOT shoot close but leave plenty of space all around the subject so the image can be placed (shifted up; down; left; or right) and sized (cropped) during the pre-print page design process.

Here is one example... the text is intended for top and bottom of the image

Hunter<div>00DX9q-25628484.jpg.ffac68b865465b9d176b4798834b71d0.jpg</div>