thomasbeaman

Ok, here is another question for all of you. I am planning a trip to

the slot canyons near Page, AZ and have heard that you have to be

guided by the Navajos and pay them a fee. Does anyone have info on

where I can find out the details to make this happen. I need to find

out how much I need to give them, what times the tours start, and

what days of the week they go. Also, do I have to make reservations

or do I just show up. Again, any help would be outstanding. Thanks

Are you sure? Becaause I keep finding things online that say you have to go in with a gyuide and you are only allowed 1 hour unless you want to pay mor money. So they will just let me show up anyday of the week? Do you happen to know what time they start letting people in? Thanks again for your info

A few years ago we went to both Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon, and we were in Upper Antelope canyon at the end of July. No reservations required, and when we were there they opened at 9.<br><br>

At Upper Antelope Canyon, you arrive, pay a per person parking fee, and then pay a per person admission fee for the canyon. You then get in the back of a pick-up truck with about 6-10 other people and they drive you down the wash to the entrance of the canyon. They said that the "tours" (trucks) leave on the hour, but we think that they leave when they have enough people. The driver is also the guide, and they explain a bit about the canyon as you walk through for about an hour. For an additional fee (about $10-15 if I recall) you can stay an additional hour. I HIGHLY recommend staying for the extra time, because it is very crowded and you really want to be able to take your time to set up shots and wait for people to get out of the way. 30 second exposures are quite challenging with people wandering through.<br><br>

At Lower Antelope Canyon (a few years ago), you pay your fee, they walk you to the entrance, and then you're on your own. Lower Antelope is much less crowded and has a different look than Upper Antelope. <br><br>

If you have the time, do both. Our pictures are <a href="http://www.whywework.com/travel/grand_canyon/antelope.htm">here</a> if you're interested.<br><br>

Have Fun!

<br>-Jennifer.

If you would care to share a few with me I would check them out. I have seen many pictures of canyons but the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen of any canyon always comes out of Antelope Canyon. I understand why it has been shot to death, it is amazing. The same reason that Valley View and Tunnel View have been shot to death. they are amazing. There are other granite cliffs in the US but when you see something that takes your breath away, you want to shoot it even though many other people have. But back to you knowing of other great canyons. Please throw some ideas out there and I would be happy to check them out. Thanks again, Thomas

How about Crack In the ground Oregon 4 miles long and 2'-30' wide and approx 70 feet deep. This last spring when we were there we saw only 3 other people and they were just leaving. spend hours and only aw about 1/4th of it. It is a split in the Lava layer. Totally unlike any canyon made by water with rock unlike any other canyon. One side is shaded and covered with Lichens and green. the other dry and barren.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=490719

But then I'm not into pushing people out of the way hoping to get a shot of something everyone else has already seen a zillion times.

approx. 8 miles north of Christmas Valley Oregon

I took a group there last year. Lower Antelope was great. You park, you pay, you walk 5 minutes and you're into the slot. The native american folks I paid were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They were also good humoured and interested in my groups origins (Scotland & England). Standing around shooting the breeze with them was highly entertaining.

I was happy to pay them as it appeared this contribution represented an important portion of their income. You may take away 'great' pictures from many such places but what you leave behind is important too.

Thomas,

I won't repeat information already given, but want to ask, what time of year do you plan to go? The closer to summer solstice the better. I have visited the both the upper and lower parts in early October and the lower part again in late October. The difference in quality of light in the lower canyon was huge. As late as early October, you can still get a few sunbeams in both the upper and lower canyon, but as I said, the closer to the summer solstice the better.

Hope this helps,

Kosta

Technically, you're supposed to be guided. Navajo Tribal Parks sort of took over the park by implementing new regulations. The family that owns the land is still there, and they collect fees and guide the canyon, but the Navajo Tribal Parks tacks on an additional fee ($5 IIRC) and sets the rules.

It used to be that you could just show up at Upper Antelope, pay the family the entrance fee, and they'd drive you out there. They'd ask you when you wanted to get picked up and just leave you there by yourself. You can still do this, but there are limitations on how long you can stay and they're supposed to stay with you rather than just take off.

However, I was there last year, and I paid the family to take me in. I was only supposed to be there for an hour or two with a guide, but I told the lady that I had been there before, so she figured she could just leave me there alone. After a while, another guided group came through, and when their guide saw me alone, asked me where my guide was. I told him that she had simply left me there, he got upset and said that they're not supposed to do that anymore. And, when she came to pick me up, she was waiting for another guy and fell asleep in the canyon, so I got even more time there.

So, I'd just show up at the entrance, pay your fees, and go with the family that owns the land. Chances are you'll be left alone to work on your photography.

I don't think anybody guides Lower Antelope, so just show up and pay your fees. As noted, no reservations required.

I was last in the Canyons in May, 2004, and at that time it was much like what has been posted previously. There may have been some changes since then but for details on what occurred on my trip there is a trip journal in the Notes/Essays area of my website as well as some pics of the canyons on the last 3 pages of the Landscapes portfolio. I spent time in both Upper and Lower Antelope though I much prefer Lower. As for reservations, I just showed up and was able to get in both times though I did arrive at Lower Antelope only about an hour before they closed the gate for the day. Not really enough time in my estimation but they were kind enough to tell me I could come back in the morning for free if I didn't feel I had enough time in the canyon.

www.wcbeanphoto.com

It's not exactly a well-known spot in Page (you think it would be). Just take the road to the power plant--which is hard to miss. There is a country store/gas station about 2 miles away.

The sun beams show up best when the silt is blown in sproadically through the slits. The trick is to do an exposure that allows that spontaneous woof of dust hitting the beam--and not overexposing. If you are lucky and can keep other (photographers) out of the picture, you can get a double exposure of the beam a few minutes apart. Very dramatic and cool. I have a shot up now in my portfolio.

October will be tough--you need the sun almost overhead. Might be a few slits that will still work then.