Canon 20 D with 17-85 lens - help!

mary_buchignani

I don't know if my problem is the lens, the camera, the speedlight or

me. If this is a dumb question, forgive me, but is there a wide

angle converter for the 17-85 lens or do I have to buy the 10-22 to

get a wider angle. I'm trying to photograph surgical equipment

(trays approx 32" x 48"). Everything comes out dark and distorted

around the edges from about 3 ft away. I need help with everything.

Thanks!

You may want to post some sample pictures. You may get more accuracy as well as volume in responses. My guess are:

- You may need a wide angle & difuser on your speed light (to address the dark corner)

- Use Flash compensation (Assume your subject is shinny matalic & you likely are under-expose as well)

- Part of your distortion is properly due to the camera not level to the ground.

- The other part is likely due to the 17-85 lens. It can be fixed with program such as this one. http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Hope these help.

I have that lens/camera/flash combo and you should be fine if you can move back a bit. I'd recommend a tripod and remote switch or use the timer function. Set the tripod up high enough and it should work. I have the speedlight 580EX and 420EX and both can handle 17mm wide. If you can fit the trays in the frame, try manual mode (1/60 and f/5.6) should work for you. Also lights instead of the flash. You might be getting relections back at the camera. Anyway here's a sample I took of my canon rebates before I send them in. The frame shows abour 30"x48". I used a 20D, 17-85 lens, no flash setting were 29mm, 1/30, f/8, hand held. If you used a tripod, you could set the camera directly over the tray and I think you would be fine.

Mark

Thanks. I'll try all of these suggestions.

The only reason I can't "back up" more is that I'm working in a hospital prep room with the trays on the counter. They won't let me put them on the floor and the highest ladder they have gets me only slightly higher than the counter. I'm sure some of the problem has to do with the camera not being perfectly level. My tripod doesn't have an arm that will move the camera to the straight down position and I can't find one that is compatible so I might just have to buy a new one.

I didn't know there was a wide angle for the speed light. I will check that out as well. Also I have used additional lighting (naturally there is overhead fluorescent lighting in the room which isn't great. When I turn that off I can't seem to get enough additional light. Any suggestions on the type of bulb to use with the fluorescent?

I'm afraid I might just have to buy the wider angle lens. It could be the easiest solution.

I will post a photo later today.

Thanks everybody for your help!

The problem could well be the Speedlite - a 580EX by any chance? Unfortunately, its automatic zoom feature doesn't work correctly at the wider end when used on a 20D (focal length less than 24mm). The work arounds are to set the speedlite to manual zoom, and adjust it appropriately yourself, or to flip down the wide diffuser panel (which will automatically cause the use of a wider zoom setting on the flash).

If you can fit the tray in the frame now, a wider lens won't solve anything. You are probably too close for the flash. It spreads only so far at close ranges. Try setting it to AV mode, no flash, using the dial set the Apeture to 5.6 +or-, the camera will set the shutter speed. Get as far away as you can and zoom to fill the frame. This should work. Again, if you can fit everything in the frame now, a wider lens will cause you get move closer making the flash problem worse.

m

Tried the plug in to Photoshop and got an error message, but will try again - also with the standalone verion (I have XP home on my PC). Thanks for the Speedlight info. Will try those suggestions tomorrow.

Now I have another question. The firmware version on my 20 D is 1.1.0. I just discovered that the current version is higher than 2.0.1. Unfortunately, I don't have a card reader so I can't update it myself (per Canon instructions), but does anybody know if that could be causing any of my problems?

Thanks! Mary

This might sound odd, but why not just use the flourescents and correct for colour in PS

later. The flash seems more trouble than its worth.

You have a DSLR. Set it on apeture priority, take frames adjusting the apeture upwards

each time, and just bang away until you nail it. You even have IS on the lense to help with

slow shutter speeds. With that and the fluoros you shouldn't really even need a flash or a

tripod.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...