D70 - enlargement to 16x20

wally_yau

I have been making 11x17 enlargement with pictures from my D70 and I am

very happy with the result. The pictures are shot in RAW mode.

Now I want to make 16x20 enlargement and I am wondering if anyone has

done it before. How is the result? Is there anything I need should

watch out for? And should I use photoshop to resize the image bigger

first?

Thanks.

I use Mpix.com and have had 16x24 and 20x30 with beautiful results. I normally resize them in photoshop first. Keep in mind that the ratio of the D70 photos size is 2x3. Unless you crop the size will be 4x6, 8x12, 16x24, 20x30 etc. The larger side will be 1.5 x the shorter side. That's why 5x7 and 8x10 photos are croped.

PhotoZoom software is also excellent for upsizing and sharpening. You can download a trial version that puts visible watermarks on the print but still allows you to evaluate the results. It did an excellent job with an 8x10 made from a small portion of a photo taken with my D2H. I'd guesstimate a full frame, uncropped version would have amounted to roughly 16x20.

i've done it a couple ways, and about to try a third. one way i did it was interpolate up in the actual raw converter itself, the largest choice is 17x25. i loved the results. the other way i did it, and is recommended over the first i mentioned, is to interpolate up in the image size box itself after you have opened a non-interpolated image in raw, and use, as was instructed from books and Russel Brown, is to use bi-cubic smoother. Now, the third i'm trying to deal with right now is to use the image size box again, but instead, use a pixel of 360 and use bi-cubic sharper. good luck.

As I understand it upsizing during the RAW conversion will provide the best result - choosing your interpolated size in PS camera raw. The down side is having enough RAM to post process giant 16bit files, but I use this regularly for enlargement and when I want to crop heavily.