Is the Hensel 3200B series compatable with Bowens?

ric_bower1

Hi Ric,

a definite NO to the first question, YES to the second one.

Although the Hensel Flash 3200B system is closely related to the Bowens Quadmatic system, it is not directly compatible.

However, by plugging the ORIGINAL Hensel 3200 Head into the old Quadmatic (not the Quadmatic 1.5k or 3k)the unit will charge up and the modelling light will work,it can be fired but you will find that the cooling fan/blower is not working at all.

If you should plug the Hensel Flash Head 3200B into a younger Bowens Quadmatic 1.5k or 3k generator/pack, nothing will happen because these have an interlock system which requires specific bridges in the plug to operate.

My advice is to bring the head(s)to a competent Flash Service Center and have a technician convert the plug(s) to the Bowens Quadmatic system. This is the most economical way. Buying conversion boxes or having them custom made is also possible, but they are not readily available and they will be costly.

Below you will find a few tips and tricks that may help a technician to execute the conversion of the plug to the Bowens system, but they are not intended for an untrained and unqualified person. This information may be useful for you to estimate the work necessary and the cost of conversion. However, there is no warranty for absence of errors in analysis, specifications and values listed. I will not be responsible for anything that goes wrong. By using the information provided by me you declare yourself in agreement with this and that you do, whatever you do, at your own risk. I will definitely aim to discourage any person without qualifications to work on high voltage equipment to attempt repairing flash units or their flash heads.

Picture 1 and 2 are showing a Hensel Flash 3200 binder plug from both sides without alterations. Pins a3 and b3 are removed to fit Hensel Flash 3200 generator/pack.<div>00DYcb-25661284.jpg.afbf0834a45aa63b2a5843961896a626.jpg</div>

To make the Hensel Head compatible to the younger Bowens Quadmatic 1.5k/3k generator/pack the technician has to add a wire bridges (white) from a2 to a9. In addition to this there must be also a bridge from a3 to a5 (green). The additional bridge from a1 to a0 is not necessary for operation on the Quadmatic 1.5k/3k, but it makes it possible to use the head on an older Bowens Quad 2000/2002 and Hensel 3001/3003 generator/pack provided an external modelling light dimmer and a 300 W max. bulb is used.<div>00DYdW-25661984.jpg.c400eb304be3cd1ba2d66fd73afa5ae4.jpg</div>

Because the old Hensel system has a3 blocked on the flash output socket and pin a3 on the plug removed it will be necessary to reinsert pin a3 in the plug binder to be able to install bridge a3/a5. For this action it is best to pull one of the unused pins. They must be clean with no solder; otherwise they will not come out easily.

In using the converted Hensel Flash Head to fit the Quadmatic generator/pack you must keep in mind that the Hensel head does not have the trigger-interrupt switch as found in the Quadmatic Head plug (see the picture below)

This makes it necessary to turn the unit off before changing head plugs.

Hope this helps.<div>00DYeC-25662184.jpg.290586ab9eb04b77bf1f927988bc33bf.jpg</div>

• 17 years later...

Hello,

I've just bought a Bowens 6000 generator and a Hensel Fresnel flash 8000 without cooling fan.

Can i plug it in? Didn't find any information online besides your info on the forum.

Any information wold be much appreciated

Kind regardes 

Dan Comaniciu

IMG_6418.jpg

IMG_6419.jpg