scratch disks full?

Hi to all. I was wondering if anyone knows about an error messege

that reads "can not complete the request because scratch disks are

full" I am trying to send file to photoshop cs to edit and print and

keep getting this alert and it will not execute any command. I have

checked a couple of photoshop books I have and nothing is mentioned

about scratch disk. Thank you for help. Michael.

Hi Michael

Because PhotoShop records a history of each state change you make and has to be able to manage images that are often much bigger than the RAM that most people have installed it uses a disc area to store data. This area (scratch disc) is defined in PhotoShop under Edit > Preferences > plug-ins & scratch discs. It is recommended that the scratch area is on a separate drive to the PhotoShop executable. So, the message means that the disc where the scratch area is located is running out of space. You either need to clear space on that drive or, and this is not a bad idea, get a second disc installed and then put the scratch area there. Cheers

You don't say anything about what system you are running here -- OS X, XP, Windows 2000, 98? Your options may vary a bit depending on which system you're using.

The basic explanation is what was stated above -- Photoshop is a resource-intensive programme and even 4GB of RAM wouldn't be enough to keep a file fully-loaded in memory after a certain point. Think about the multiple-undos -- PS needs a way to store each 'stage' of your photograph's edits, it can't say "Run this filter 'backwards'" because that simply doesn't work.

The idea of the scratch disk is that you specify a drive (maybe C:, but maybe not) where Photoshop can write all of its temporary data. Think of it like a notepad where it can jot things down as it goes. The problem is that if your scratch disk is also your main disk it *may* run out of space. This is especially true if your computer crashes or hasn't been restarted in a while (I'm assuming Windows here) since the temporary folder tends to fill up with rubbish that isn't cleaned out on a regular basis.

So the first thing you need to do is figure out what Photoshop is using as a scratch disk. There'll be an option under preferences to set the location of the scratch disk. Whatever drive that's pointing to is the one that's almost full.

If you have other drives that have more free space you can point your scratch disk settings (up to four, I think) at those other drives and PS will happily use them instead and the error messagse will go away.

If you don't have any other drives then you will need to start backing up data on your only drive and deleting it. *OR* you can buy a second hard drive to install into your computer (if you have a desktop). Since you can buy 250GB drives quite cheaply these days I'd recommend that you do this rather than randomly deleting old files.

HTH,

jon

A quick and dirty solution is to open the "RUN" window and run "%temp%" (not with quotes). Do a shift-del to remove these files without putting them in the "garbage can."

If you have any non-system files on the scratch disk, move them somewhere else or delete them.

The scratch disk is specified in Photoshop under edit/preferences. It should be a different physical drive than the root drive or the drive where images are stored. Logical partitions of a physical drive don't qualify as a separate drive for this purpose.

• 3 weeks later...