4x5 camera for landscape/backpacking : Canham DLC or Wista DX

zonesys

Hello,

I would like to get opinions and advice about the "best" (as far as

we can say "best") 4x5 camera for landscape photograpy during

backpacking tours. My first overview and survey lead me to pre-

select the Canham 45DLC and the Wista 45DXII.

From a budget point of view Canham 45DLC is on the top line (ie

maximum I can afford...) and Wista far less expensive. On a "pure"

photographic approach (technical and easy-using) which one to

choose ?

Thank you for your contributions

Jean-Bernard

I've never owned either of these cameras but I've played around with both of them. The Canham is a more versatile camera but I think the Wista is the better choice based on what you've said here (obviously this is a personal thing and others might differ). But if you're buying new the Wista will save you close to $1000 to spend on lenses and it's well suited for backpacking - light, solid, quick to set up, easy to use. If you're impressed by names who use particular brands of cameras Ray McSavaney, who IMHO is the best least known photographer in the world, was using a Wista the last time I saw him. The Canham has a couple more movements IIRC and a longer bellows which is why I think it's a more versatile camera but neither of those attributes is usually important for landscape photography.

The principal drawback IMHO of the Wista is the short (12") bellows. But if that bothers you another couple inches can be gained by using a "top hat" lensboard or the rear extension (though personally I wouldn't want to have to carry and fiddle with the rear extension).

It can be irritating to ask a question about two items and have someone suggest a third so I won't say anything about the Tachihara. I won't go into details about its light weight, solid construction, simplicity of use, longer bellows than the Wista, etc. etc. nor will I discuss the fact that it costs about half of what the Wista costs. Since you've confined your choices to only two cameras it wouldn't be right to bring a third into the discussion so I'll ignore the Tachihara.

Roux,

Canham DLC or Wista DX.... hmmmmm.

[i agree with Brian and Alan but won't mention the Tachihara 4x5 either! :)]

Nor will I mention that they sell for a really, really reasonable price and that they're fairly

often available on a well-known auction site for next to nothing ($500 - 1,000.)

[Well done, Brian... :) It IS irritating when someone brings up another recommendation

when the comparison is about something else... so, it's a good thing you didn't bring up

the Tachihara! :)]

Cheers

I don't see how anyone can determine your own personal preferences but you. These two

units are very different, and operating them is very different. They will both do what you

need just fine. You simply must try each one and determine how you like the controls, and

how each one lets you work creatively.

A Wista DXII was Jack Dykinga's first serious LF field camera, and he's still using it after all these years as his lightweight backpacking camera. You can check out the lens kit and accessories he uses here:

http://www.dykinga.com/company.html

As the previous posters have noted its main drawback is its limited bellows extension; the longest lens this camera supports is a 400mm telephoto (and even then for fairly distant subjects only).

The Canham has very long extension and weighs a bit more. It has a unique design; some folks swear by it, others find its controls a bit "fiddly". But if you find its workings acceptable it is definitely the more versatile camera.

If you are looking for an excellent and versatile backpacking 4x5 field camera, the Canham DLC is just about perfect. I've been using one for several years for this specific purpose, and I like it better the more I use it.

It works very well with very short to long lenses, it is very light and packs into its own small padded case, it sets up quickly, and it is smooth and precise and solid. And it looks good.

BTW, Midwest Photo has one for sale in 9+ condition for about $1500.

Good luck with your choice.

I have done landscape photography using four different 4x5 cameras: Anniversary Speed Graphic, a borrowed Wisner, a Plaubel Peco Supra II, and for the past year a Canham DLC45. None of this has been during backpacking trips, however. While I like the Canham best among these for landscapes (and for most other purposes), I think a more traditional field camera -- in your case the Wista -- would be my choice if I were ONLY going to do landscapes. I say that because the Canham is really a cross between a field camera and a monorail camera, and thus its set-up is more time-consuming than a true field camera's.

Bellows length is an issue, however: if you're going to be shooting in places like the Rockies or the Grand Canyon and will need either very long (e.g., 450 mm) or very short (e.g., 75mm) lenses, then you're going to have to fiddle around with wide-angle bellows or the various kinds of extensions that allow a shorter draw field camera to accommodate these focal lengths. Then I'd be leaning back to the Canham, which can take these lenses without adaptations.

BTW, in the event that you would ever use the camera for anything that doesn't involve trekking up and down mountains, you'll find the Canham is a dream to work with. Talk to Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange.

I bought a Canham DLC back in 1998 and have loved it (with some minor reservations)

ever since. Part of the reason I went with the DLC was because I had previously used a

Cambo SC studio monorail, so I was used to extensive movements and long bellows

extension . As others have pointed out, the DLC will beautifully handle do just about

anything that you would want to do in the landscape. I particularly like the fact that I don't

have to carry a wide-angle bellows, extension rails, recessed or top-hat lens boards. I can

switch from an extreme wide-angle shot to a long-lens composition in about thirty

seconds, which is nice when the light is changing fast.

Some have complained that the DLC isn't as rigid as an Ebony or Arca. My experience that

there is some observable flex in the rear standard when inserting a film holder, but so

long as you apply some equal and opposing force when pulling out the spring loaded

ground glass (hard to explain but very natural in practice), this doesn't shift the final

position of the standard at all. Also, I have never had a problem with lack of rigidity when

working with extreme close-ups and long bellows extension, except in wind, which would

be a problem for any view camera. The bottom line is that the DLC routinely delivers

excellent results, and I haven't ever experienced a failed image as a result of the design or

construction of the camera... failures due to operator error are a different issue entirely.

I do have a few issues with the camera which I have gotten used to and which aren't an

issue to me anymore, particularly in relation to all the "pros" of this camera. These are:

- You will probably have to tighten the hex screws on the focus lock levers from time to

time. This problem can be avoided by being careful not to overtighten the levers. I haven't

experienced any problems with the other movement locks.

- Compression of bellows with a wide angle lens can cause a couple of minor annoyances:

First, the bellows can pop through the rear standard if you take the the ground glass back

off (to switch from vertical to horizontal composition, for instance). You apparently need

to be a little careful to reseat the bellows properly, because I have heard reports of light

leaks from improperly seated bellows. I haven't experienced the light leak problem, but I

know some people use a little double-sided tape to keep the bellows from hopping out of

the rear standard. Second, doing a significant front rise with a lens of 90mm or shorter

can cause the bellow to force a backward rear tilt. You just have to be aware of this and

reposition the bellows to compensate. I've gotten to the point where I do this without

thinking.

- The "bulls-eye" bubble levels on top of the front and rear standards aren't great and

they're tricky or impossible to use if the camera is placed high on a big tripod. I carry a

small level that I sometimes use in these cases, but mostly I compose to make the

composition "feel" level.

The Wista is a very good, and very light, camera given its limitations, and if it does what

you need I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Personally, I like to use a wide range of

focal lengths and do everything from broad landscapes to extreme close-ups, so the

Canham DLC is my cup of tea.

Good luck with your decision!

Roux... i have owned many, many 4x5 cameras looking for the perfect one to backpack with. rather that go into an exhaustive disortation on the mertis of each, i will simply say that i started with a linhof technika IV, sold it and went through many cameras thereafter. i recently corrected that early error by buying a Master Technika 2000. i will use the MT2000 as a suppliment to my Arca Swiss F-Line, when i need something a little more portable. for me, there is simply no finer camera than the Arca, but for VERY long hikes, the MT2000 is the finest portable field camera ever made. if this is your first view camera, i would strongly advise you against the DLC. it's a very versitle camera, but i think not well-suited to individuals new to large format photography. if you have more questions, especially about the DLC, Canham Traditional, Ebony, Technika, Technikardan, or Arca Swiss, feel free to email me at scott@srosenberg.com.

good luck,

scott

I just returned from Sequoia National Park backcountry with my DLC45 (Film not developed yet). I lugged two heavy lenses to get specific shots: Schneider 72mmXL and Nikon T 360/500/720. The Canham handles both the 72mm and the 720mm without problem. Now if I could only find lighter versions of these lenses. By the way, I also worry about changing focus while inserting the film holder, so I installed the AWB Enterprises Wind Stabilizer Kit (I have no relationship with the company). It solidly connects the two standards. You could probably create your own system, but the Wind Stabilizer system makes it easy for any lens length.

I've owned and used both cameras, but the Wista DX was a long time ago. The Canham DLC is defintely more versatile. When I had the Wista DX, I only had one lens, a 180 mm. It worked very well with that lens, but eventually I wanted a lens longer than could be used with the 12 bellows of the Wista DX. As the others have pointed out, the Canham DLC has a much longer max extension and bellows.

I don't know how well the Wista DX works with shorter lenses. Most of the wood folders are a bit awkward to use with short lenses (e.g., 90 mm or shorter) because the standards can't directly approach each sufficiently closely. Instead you have to tilt the front standard backwards to indirectly get the standards closer together. Perhaps someone who has used the Wista DX more recently can say whether this is necessary with the Wista DX. Another question is whether the compressed bellows restricts movements such as front rise with short lenses.

I had the Canham DLC when it first came out and generally like it. I found it to be just barely rigid enough. My bigest problem was using my 72 mm lens. If I used front rise, the standards were very prone to unexpectedly slipping because of the bellows and giving me unwanted tilt, ruining the photo if I didn't notice the change. Since that the time I see that Canham makes a wide-angle bellows for the DLC, which would solve this problem.

Eric mentions that Jack Dykinga uses a Wista DX, but it is no longer his primary camera.

I don't know why Scott thinks that the Canham DLC is not a good choice for beginners. The controls seem as obvious as any other LF camera. I think either camera would work well for hiking and be easy to use with lenses of approx. normal focal length.

But overall, my advice is not to worry to much about your first LF camera. It's not like small or medium format where selecting a camera brand locks you into a body and lens line. If you change your mind about the camera body, you can simply move your lenses to different lens boards (or perhaps your lensboards will fit the next camera too).

• 8 months later...